This was a HUGE race. From what I could find, there were about 15,000 participants and all of their family and friends there to cheer them on. It seemed like a helluva lot more people than 15,000. I’m not sure why. Maybe the complete chaos?
I had Reggie ask Sean to drop us at the start. He’s a sucker for a cute girl and he’s over getting up at 5am and driving me in the cold. The romance is gone. 😉 He dropped us and we went straight to the porta potty line.
- porta potty line was super long.
- I’ve been in many a porta potty and you just get used to it. But every once in a while…wow. The person in the porta potty before me…not well. It was an unpleasant experience and I got sick. Perfect way to start the morning. *Thank you sensitive stomach
- We headed over to the corrals to find Miss Kat and her silver sparkle skirt! We started in corral 5 and hung out there for awhile and then waded our way straight through the middle all the way to the end of corral 14. But no Kat. 🙁
- I suggested we move up to corral 13. I mean…why not? So we did. We are so wild.
- Race started ten minutes late. Then each corral had to start and by the time we got going…it was about 25 minutes past our “start time”. I was pretty over hearing “10, 9, 8…” you get the drift. Ready set go does the job Guys.
- We stopped a few miles in to use the porta potty again. There was a HUGE line and we easily lost 6 or 7 minutes waiting. Serious bummer.
- Other than that…we pretty much kicked ass the first 8 miles. We were strong and we felt strong. Our longest run was 8 miles so that is not surprising. I started to struggle at mile 9 and I took some gummies and honey stingers and a shot of my inhaler and felt a little better.
- Mile 11 I did it again.
- Miles 12 and 13 we felt really strong and just flew in. It was awesome.
- We’re in the home stretch…flying down the road, crossing timing mats and approaching the finish and BAM! Some chick stops right in front of me. Just STOPS. Who does that? When I go to run around her…there’s a huge crowd and I can’t get out.. like the worst traffic jam ever. Meanwhile Reggie is GONE. Like…GONE (did I mention how fast she is? I totally hold her up). Girl is like a BLOCK ahead, arms out crossing the finish line, like The Sound of Music as they run down the mountain.
It was hilarious to see her cross and turn and look randomly for me. LOL. Yeah….still back here Chick. hahhaa. So funny. I love her so much. And yes…I exaggerate a bit about the crossing but not a lot! She was happy and had the energy to go with it.
- At this point the wind picked up super fast….the chill popped in and damn. It was cold. Lord bless those volunteers for those blankets.
- I lost my headband. I am sad.
I am incredibly impressed with Miss Reggie. We crossed in 2:31:08 and 2:31:30 respectively. She did a great job. I am positive she could run this race far faster. Lots of adrenaline and ran the whole thing.
Three to go.