- The Survivors – This is a powerful article about the survivors left behind when adventurers and climbers head out to tackle the world or the nearest giant mountain like Mt Everest. When they don’t come back because they’ve simply disappeared never to be found or they’ve had an accident and died, the people left behind have to live with the consequences and the climbers, though they care, they seem to be pulled to the mountain by a force so strong it overpowers the love of family, the love of father and mother even. It’s really emotional and powerful to think about the call of the mountain and specifically Everest. It seems to have such a pull to these climbers they put it above everyone and everything in their lives.
- Just a quick note about B12, we talked about it yesterday. If you’re thyroid gland is not working properly it can cause hypothyroidism and this could lead to a B12 deficiency. As we’ve discussed before, if you have any kind of thyroid disorders you are at a much higher risk of having Celiac disease and should absolutely be tested. It’s an easy blood test and fairly inexpensive (hopefully your insurance covers it but these days…who knows but it really doesn’t hurt to ask your doctor…just remember to give a very strong case). The following are some symptoms of B12 deficiency however…as with anything these are only the most common symptoms. I did my own searching to find other symptoms and found eye problems among other issues. As you can see these symptoms could easily be symptoms of Celiac or even just hypothyroidism. You can get a blood test to see if you’re B12 is okay. I just know I’m Celiac and I’m always deficient in everything so I boosted my B12. Hopefully it works for the eye.
The most common include fatigue, constipation, decreased appetite, tingling in the hands and feet, impaired memory, depression, and soreness of the tongue.
- Up and Humming just commented on yesterday’s blog to tell me Topiramate has a side effect that causes eye twitching and sure enough it does. I’ve been on it for probably ten years and never get any side effects from it but it’s high time I did. I’ve asked my doctor if I can go off of it multiple times but he wants me to stay on it for now. I just asked him again because I don’t want to be on eight million drugs. Hopefully he gets back to me today.
Actually I’m pretty patient but who doesn’t love a HP gif?
- I am…as I am typing this…on the phone one more time with the menu system people from hell. I got a different person this time and she said “we are going to figure this out”. I like her. I told her my next step is to drive down there and possibly chain myself to a tree to be heard. OH MY GOSH> three minutes later and they found it. I love her. ❤ I ended up calling the benefits people, too, and I feel confident we have this thing licked.
#Iamgratefulforhealthcare #Iamgratefulforhealthcare #dailyreminders
I have the wrong kind of health insurance…
- The high today is 94*. It’s currently 96.5*. Doesn’t appear to be slowing down…it’s only 2:30
I got a wicked migraine last night, I blame the wind. So I ended up just walking Malachi because it was too much to think of running but I’ll run tonight and I plan a quick HIIT workout or some strength this afternoon since I haven’t done anything since Friday.
Category Archives: Tess
- My friend lost her brother last week and I am incredibly sad for her. While out of town for her brother’s funeral she found out her dog was hit by a car. I don’t know the circumstances but the love they had for that tiny little puppy, seriously…he was the cutest thing ever. My heart is just broken. She’s a kind loving sweet friend who cares for people so much. There’s no answer for why but this is a tough one to power through. I hurt for her. I wish I could help her and her family right now. ❤
- I have a friend who is diagnosed ADHD. Let me restate that. I have several friends who are actually diagnosed ADHD. I know I am ADHD and I know for SURE Sean is ADD. Apparently birds of a feather and all that…. but my friend swears by the meds she takes and says she feels like a normal person for the first time. She can think straight. She doesn’t feel stupid. She can make conscious thoughts and process them properly. I’m hoping I can straighten out my brain out so I can do the same thing. I’m making progress I think.
- Did I mention I’ve had a twitching eye? It did that years ago and we couldn’t figure out why, finally narrowing it down to the wrong thyroid medication. This time I thought I was overmedicated again but I think I figured it out by accident. I woke up this morning after having a fairly good nights sleep. I normally sleep about four to five hours and last night I got like…six hours. Great, right? Got dressed, hopped in the car and started driving to go for a run and started yawning. At this point I thought…I have got to be low on B12. What the hell? So I stopped to get B12 supplements. When you’re Celiac you’re always short on freaking everything. FunFact: you need your ID to buy B12 supplements. Anyway, I bought a spray so it would go straight to me and I also bought a pill. I immediately sprayed and checked it out…my eye stopped twitching. So I googled it and yep….it’s a thing. The things you learn. The sad thing is if I take too much I can get itchy. Just.what.I.need. The brain fog is also a symptom of B12 deficiency so let’s hope all this is helped soon from the b12 boost.
- I officially have a dress for the wedding thanksbetoGod. What’s it like to be normal sized? Yes, I need to have it tailored. That’s my next step. And for people who think I can relax now, I still need jewelry, a jacket, shoes, find a hair person…you get the gist. Are we having fun yet? LOL
- In May I took my measurements so I could have a baseline. I don’t weigh myself so I wanted to make sure I knew where I was starting. I felt very frustrated with my own progress so even though I exercised regularly I didn’t check my measurements every week to see how I was doing. Yesterday though I did check because I figured two months had passed and please tell me I’d made SOME progress. Also, my clothes were fitting better. ha. Odds were in my favor. Turns out yes, I’ve lost about two inches in my waste and ribcage which is about where I figured I had. My arms are the same (not friendly thanks but no thanks to the strength training) and my hips are the same) curse you children…(not really, I totally love you but damn you hips). And when I took my measurements I put them on a sticky note and I put them in code. Not purposely, I just wrote them down using the first letter. Seriously, it was pure laziness because (and this is not a lie, it’s my personality) I always believe I’ll totally remember what I was thinking when I did it so I wrote a “th” down as 36″. Now…I have to tell you, I have no idea what “th” is except maybe I was measuring my thigh and if I was please don’t tell me it’s 36″. So….yeah. No clues where my brain was there. I got a good giggle out of it though. And I went over all the rest and it all is accounted for. It’ll come to me at 3am probably. I’m relishing in the fact that at least I’ve lost the two inches.
- Friday I ran a quick 3.5 miles and it was pouring rain…this was the best run and I loved every minute of it. I came home dripping wet and excited to get up and run again. Saturday I got up ready to go run and do the incline but it failed miserably. Sean and I headed downtown to attempt and outing and IT failed miserably but we walked and walked and walked so I ended up calling that my workout. I’m aiming to Sunday. Today I’m hoping to get up early and try the incline again and then we’re attempting our outing again. I really need a run. It’s addictive.
Catherine thought that up so she gets the credit. When you read this, you’ll understand…
While we were in Virginia Sean got an email confirming his purchase on Amazon. He couldn’t remember what he purchased so he stopped to open the email…we were at Arlington I think so it took a minute to focus. He reads…he pauses…he thinks…
I’m like…what? What did you order?
He said, “um…a balloon…apparently. Maybe in my sleep? Somehow I accidentally ordered something from Amazon. Something totally random”.
So a few days ago we check the mail and there’s a package. What’s inside, you ask? ~clearly desperate with curiosity…
A giant number 4 mylar balloon.
Yes that’s right. Sean accidentally ordered a giant number 4 mylar balloon.
Why? How? And really, he’s going to accidentally order something and it can’t be jewelry?
So many questions. Like…what the hell, Dude? How do you do that?
In case you’re wondering…we have no answers. None.
Also, in case you’re wondering, it cost $5.99
I will be donating this random #4. And possibly taking away his amazon privileges.
- I have a list of about 40 things I need to get done and I can’t seem to focus on any of them. For someone who is attempting to make a living being an organizer this is a painful realization. I have to make the list, focus on each task and get each one done. Damn it’s hard when my brain is off like this. Exercise is even harder but all the more important. It’s like drinking water to cleanse the toxins out. I need to do it. Sean and I have so much going on right now it’s overwhelming to both of us. Thank God we are mad for each other.
- Instagram account #youdidnotsleepthere is a favorite. The owner of the account just calls out all the people that take those amazing rockstar photos that show people sleeping on ledges over deep canyons, tents over steep edges…you get the idea. Really really unbelievable photos where you say to yourself…holy cow how did they DO that? She regrams them and says #youdidnotsleepthere-you photoshopped that sucker and we know it. And is there some reason you have to instagram the MOST unbelievable photo? What is that about? She has a lot of sarcasm and also a bit of politics. I love her.
- I’m always forgetting what generation I am. I mean it doesn’t really affect my life but it comes up occasionally so I like to keep up with things. I looked it up and this article is very clear and includes a chart! Pictures always help. 😉 See-my sisters are a few years older than I am and it actually puts them in a different generation, that’s part of my confusion. Strange, I know. My sisters are Baby Boomers. But I was born four years later than my middle sister which puts me in Generation X, this doesn’t appear to be a generation anyone actually wants to be in, what a surprise, but I can’t help that. Strangely enough my parents just miss Baby Boomer generation by just a few years. They ended up in the previous Greatest Generation. My children are Millennials, though MT just barely squeezes in by a few years.
59 Percent of Millennials Raised in a Church Have Dropped Out—And They’re Trying to Tell Us Why
I don’t think it’s just Millennials. I think there’s a lot of people that were raised in church and struggle to find their way.
I need to head out and climb the incline today. It’s finally not going to be 95*. Today is supposed to be like…88* or something and that’s so much better I’ll take it. Plus I’ve had an overall ~I feel awful~ for weeks. I felt like I had the flu after camping. Allergies taking over, pretty sure. I’ve slept for two straight days. I’m ready to incline, run and totally lift something. My poor arms. MY POOR ARMS. I need to find my muscles.
- I’ve been dress shopping for the wedding online but I really would like to try it in real life a little just to get an idea of how things fit. Have I mentioned I don’t love shopping unless it’s for shoes or bags? Yeah…I don’t love shopping. I’m shaped weird.
I have always joked I will hike all day long with you straight to the door of a Holiday Inn. I like bathrooms. Bathrooms and showers.
That’s not really a joke, I really do like bathrooms and showers.
Oh man did I want my hair washed.
So on that note…let’s discuss the pros and cons of camping:
Get away from the city
Mostly no electronics… (my phone had some limited service for which I was grateful. I don’t love the #noscreens trend. #buckingthesystem)
pretty sure most of that is redundant and boils down to Colorado is awesome and that’s reason enough.
the bathrooms (a polite word for them. yuck yuck yuck).
You need to limit what you carry in
Bears (you can’t have anything but clothing at your campsite. Nothing. Not even a bottle of water. Everything has to be packed up to a bear proof food lockers)
It’s so very very cold at night and in the morning
the dirt in the tent which can be unavoidable sometimes (we had Malachi with us)
no shower (that didn’t bother me but…my hair. Oh man my hair)
and really…sleeping on the ground isn’t comfortable…those pads aren’t fabulous. They say they are but they aren’t. Don’t take mine though…it’s better than nothing. LOL
Eleven Mile State Park Review
This is our experience with Eleven Mile State Park. The good the bad and the ugly. Overall I would say we really had a great time but I don’t want to gloss over the unfriendly parts of it.
Shaughnessy made the reservation online but I’ve done a quick trial and it seemed fairly user friendly. The cost is $18 a night plus a $10 fee for the first day registration because they can. So for two days it’s $46. A reasonable price for sure.
We reserved two back country sites and they were very near the water and the water sites were an oasis. It was so beautiful. The site says the back country camp sites can be 1/2 mile to up to 3/4 of a mile from the parking lot. They had very easy trails to follow, there were restrooms (so gross but I’ve seen worse) and of course the bear proof food lockers. Those were all up at the top of the hill from the campsite. It may not be the favorite way to camp but it’s safe and they go out of their way to provide these options so you can safely camp there.
Sean and I went early to get the lay of the land and we were glad we did because we couldn’t freakin’ find the site to save our lives. In the end this was to our benefit because it was kind of a hidden site and we weren’t bothered by other campers. The first site we got to had the previous campers name still on the reservation stick and number of the site. It also had trash all over it. The final straw was a small pile of little chipmunk corpses under a tree. Like…five of them. This did not look like an animal did it, it definitely looked human and it was pretty awful. We were horrified and refused to stay at this campsite. We traveled next door to the secluded nearby site that did happen to have our name on it. This site was much better (and pretty gorgeous) however it also had some trash in it. Considering the high bear warnings everywhere it was concerning. We cleaned up the small bits in the second campsite, the worst part being (TMI here) a used feminine hygiene product. Yeah, that was tough to clean up but it also called the bears. And I didn’t need my grandson to see it.
Knowing someone comes by and changes out the names for the sites…it’s pretty disappointing they don’t do a quick sweep and clean up trash there. It wouldn’t take anything to get the names of the people that were there before and charge them a trash fee on their credit card. Put that in large letters on the website as they are checking out so they know it’s going to be there. If I have to acknowledge a box before I can “pay now” you can bet I read it. When people pay money they are more inclined to behave accordingly.
Our neighbors included college kids on one side and a family on the other. The college kids were there with beer and a need to socialize. They didn’t really bother me but I know they kept Shaughnessy and Adam up with their talking. The family on the other side kept all their stuff at their campsite encouraging bear activity. They also had two dogs who were sometimes on the leash and barked if they saw you. They rarely saw us so that was fine.
I’m actually pretty scared of dogs and on the last day when I went up to use the restroom one of their dogs rushed me and jumped on me. When this happened I freaked completely out and screamed my ass off. The owner gave a “sorry” in that “I’m only half sorry” kind of tone that says I’m making way too big of a deal about it and then she insisted loud and terse that “he’s friendly..he’s not going to hurt you.”. You have to say that like you’re irritated with me. ha. She clearly was. I had some minor scratches running down my legs (I was wearing shorts) and I was shaken up. Again, people that feel like they don’t have to follow the rules. We had Malachi with us and he was on a leash 99.9% of the time. If he wasn’t he was in the tent. We were always completely aware of him.
We would totally go back to this campground. We liked it a lot. The upsides definitely outweighed the bad and no place is going to be perfect.
We passed probably ten campsites and they were clean and beautiful and just as perfect locations. And every campsite we hiked around seemed clean and beautiful and totally up to standards. Of the probably twenty plus campers in our area I would say there were the two who were slightly difficult and all the others were quiet and polite. I do not believe you will always run into this. I actually believe the opposite is true. I would definitely not judge camping by our run in at this one campsite. And we will totally go back to this campground and we want the same campsite even…it was lovely, secluded and so close to the water and fishing. It was perfect. We just ask for better monitoring of the campsites so everyone gets to walk into clean beautiful campsites and not what Sean and I walked into.
Sean and I just got back from Virginia where we went to visit our sweet youngest kid, MT…a Marine who loves to be called a kid, while he’s at school. He got a “96” which is 96 hours off. He asked for “special lib” which is special liberty, so he wouldn’t have to hang out on base the entire time and we went and did our own thing.
How cute is he?
I have much to talk about but it’ll take me a bit and since I’m sitting in the airport.
Instead I’m going to share my “prep” for the trip which entertained me for sure, if only me.
Okay, I’m really only going to share my hunt for shorts.
I needed shorts. Nothing fits me, I’m shaped weird.
I have a short waist.
Truthfully I have no waist.
I have runner’s thighs (not elite runners…sadly). They are thick and always have been.
I have a bum.
Places I need work… (all of the above)
I need to whittle in that little waist…
those thighs could use some …fine tuning…
And the bum. Oh the bum. Well let’s not go there.
What I need:
I prefer a low rise but not too low and I can handle a mid rise but not too mid. (could I be any pickier?). I have a scar smack across the middle of my stomach that looks like a centipede that is from an emergency appendectomy during my last pregnancy, at least one Marine ago. But when pants rest on it, it’s very itchy and sore. So I prefer low rise. One of my sisters once told me she loved low rise, the lower the better because then she could get a smaller size! Good Lord the things you remember.
So I needed shorts. I’m stuck somewhere between an 8 and a 10 because of the no waist and the bum thing. It’s quite sad. So I shop and I shop and I shop (oh my Lord the stores I went to) and I even tried clothes ON. I never do that. I buy things, bring them home, if they don’t fit I return them. Unfortunately I’m having such a devil of a time I would have lived at the store. So I started trying them on.
I shopped at:
Goodwill (success! Two pair!)
TJMaxx (so much love…my perfect shorts)
ARC Thrift store
A couple other thrift stores…
And probably a few other random stores I can’t remember.
So here’s the deal…as you can see I had great success at the thrift store and at TJMaxx. At TJMaxx I found a pair of American Eagle shorts that were so freakin’ comfortable I could hardly stand it they felt like pajamas. I was on a mission. Off I went to two more stores to find them but no…I had bought the only pair in existence. So I dove in and headed to American Eagle…the teeny bopper store. The store for children. The store for young people who wear no clothes. The store that sells a “sweater” that is in fact…a tiny halter top type thing.
I walked in the door and was immediately assaulted by someone asking if they could help me and I showed them my shorts and said I must have more. She pointed to the display in front of me and said these were the same shorts. I bought two pair immediately.
When I got home, however, I discovered they were totally NOT the same shorts.
Not gonna lie, I was sad.
So I hopped online and found what I was looking for.
Now at this point I only have about five days before we’re leaving for our trip and I’m getting pretty nervous. So I ponder my choices and sweat about it for a while (overnight-truth be told) and finally bite the bullet and hit the “overnight” button which is in fact…$20 extra. I had free shipping so it just made it $20. I KNOW> JUST.
I gasped, too. I’ve NEVER spent that on shipping before but I was pretty worried.
l bought them on Sunday which would deliver them to me on Tuesday. I used a card I used to have attached to PayPal but just the week before it had been hacked. Since I’m constantly online I had caught it very quickly and they had cancelled the transactions and issued me a new card. This is important later.
I hop online to chat with them and I get Aric. Aric says “yes!” He sees my order! It absolutely will be delivered in ONE BUSINESS DAY! As soon as the payment is verified.
As soon as we have processed and verified the payment we will “totally ship your items to you in one business day!”
Seriously…what Aric? What does that mean? He just kept repeating it. I finally asked for a supervisor which he would NOT GIVE ME> Because he wanted to see my HEAD EXPLODE with frustration.
l started screen shotting his conversation and then I TOLD him I was screen shotting his conversation and I INSISTED on speaking to a supervisor and also I got on the phone to the customer service people who were really REALLY nice.
I got Matt. I told Aric and the supervisor he had finally produced that I was done with them and had moved on. I told Matt what had happened and that~ Dude..I need my shorts. He laughed and said, “let’s find them!”
He immediately figured out that my new card had not been verified on PayPal yet so they weren’t shipping the items because they thought the payment was hinky. I gave him a different payment. Thanked him profusely. Asked him why they didn’t CALL ME. He said yep…they should have. That was totally the problem. Also, he said Aric had attitude and that was not okay. He was REALLY sorry and took half the cost off (free shorts!) And gave me free overnight shipping!
Also, I had a lovely chat with him and know most of his life story. (Hey Matt!)
This turned out to be a really good experience and I am glad I did it. Yes, I have American Eagle shorts but I love them so who cares. I have three pair. One pair of white (I love them) one pair of black (I love them) and one pair of khaki and they’re not bad. They go with everything but they aren’t the most flattering color on me so I’ll wear them but they won’t be my first choice. But they fit great and that is definitely the most important thing.
We had the best time in Virginia with MT so tomorrow I’ll tell you guys all about it.
Meanwhile I’ll d a HIIT workout today or some strength because it’s been days without strength and I long to remember what muscles are again.
- One of my dearest and best friends just had a baby and named him Harrison. I SWOON. ❤
Also…he weighed 6lbs 13oz which is totally my birthday (hello…6-13..I know, it’s a numbers thing) so he and I are bonded for life. Of course, he doesn’t know this nor does his mother probably get it but I get it and I was SO excited to get it I nearly leapt up with excitement! It’s entirely possible I actually did but hey. We all have our thing. I have a lot of energy. I was being energetic.
- We’re preparing lists for traveling and my gosh the details to think about. As I type out lists and what-not I have minor panic attacks about what I’m forgetting because you know there must be something. I 100% forget my toothbrush every time.
This little gif makes me so happy. I love Mr. Potato Head. I love toys. I wouldn’t pack angry eyes, though. I would pack my flirty eyes. My poor husband. I’m a flirt. I flirt with everyone because I don’t think of it as flirting. I thin of it as being charming and making witty conversation. Then maybe later it’ll come to me and I’ll go…hmm. It was probably flirty but I don’t discriminate. I do it with everyone!
this is actually very me.
- I went to Target today to pick up some travel items and I thought..oh yep. I definitely need that cute little toothpaste. Oh, Kleenex! Wet wipes. So handy. Travel Advil!! I ALWAYS have the need for band aids!! Yes! I’ve definitely needed…the the list goes on and on and on and eventually I thought…oh my gosh. The first step is admitting you have a problem. A love of miniature things. And I did not buy 87 tiny little things that I love. I just bought like..three. Thank the Lord. But I LOVE them. Travel size stuff is so fun. (p.s. I bought a toothbrush and it’s already in the pile…wish me luck it actually makes it into the suitcase)
- I’m not burying my head in the sand on the politics of the world right now. It’s a big part of why I’m feeling so completely out of control. Unfortunately, I feel completely out of control. So there’s that.
I despise everything about the healthcare bill. Everything. And my dear friend (the one who lost her husband two months ago) just informed me her visa status, the one they just gave her …well they yanked it right back in Trump’s most recent “no new visa’s will be approved” game. She was told no visa for three years. She told me she cried for two straight days. My heart is so sad for her. And bitter. And even though I have been taught to never say the word hate unless I’m talking about yucky vegetables it’s definitely a struggle this week. This administration is testing my strength.
- I have a ton of stuff to do today. It’s mostly condensed in a pretty tight place if I can be fast. If I can’t…ugh. What a long unorganized day. I’m working on about 4 hours of sleep and I cannot tell you how exhausted I am. I did a great 30 minute HIIT workout earlier today though and it felt amazing. I’m doing my best to get some kind of workout in so I don’t lose it. Also, I’m about to travel and this whole…workout environment is going to be a change. That’ll be a new thing…
I have something to pick up in the morning down south so I’m going to start my morning with the incline. Wish me luck! Oh…don’t get excited. It’s the baby incline!
My day started yesterday with my house flooding.
It ended with my water heating dying.
Everything in between was just as amazing including a spider (no, he wasn’t small) actually crawling across my keyboard.
I was going to go for a run but insanity (life) intervened and I had to wait until evening. Evening came and it became one thing after another and then when my sanity was actually at risk the winds were 17mph.
I decided I better not.
Was I messaging someone about the best kind of drink to have?
Hell I was sitting in the parking lot of the liquor store discussing the benefits of Rum and Coke with my brother in law via email. I can always count on his dark sense of humor to make me laugh. And also to guide me to the best alcohol. When I told him I was looking for alcohol, knowing me so well you would expect him to say …don’t do it …it’s not good for you. Instead he said, “I like Rum.” And we went from there. I didn’t end up caving though because I didn’t have the emotional energy to google what was gluten free and what wasn’t.
In all fairness the liquor store parking lot was the same parking lot as the grocery store but I was still thinkin’ about it. I can’t be bothered to drink. It’s too damn much work and not nearly as much fun as people talk about.
I think I handle most stress pretty well. I know right now you’re thinking…sure you do.
I’m a ~power through it~ kind of person. I may rant later but what are husbands and girlfriends for? I can usually laugh it off, make a joke here or there. Be practical and say this is what we do and we just have to get through it.
I have a lot going on. I carry a lot of emotion, spirituality and intelligence all bundled up in one hot passionate mess.
When I think about how much I have going on and how I’m handling it I want to think I should grow the hell up and what’s my problem. And the other part of me says I’ve just snapped. I handled it and I handled it and I handled it and now I’m just done and rather than scream at the world and tell people exactly what I’m thinking, I choose to have a complete meltdown and process it.
Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.” ~Luke 6:38 NIV
(side note: my post has now been written twice and disappeared twice. Heavy sigh. Moving forward)
I took Skosh to the vet this morning where our wonderful doctor said, “he’s the picture of health! He looks WONDERFUL!” It was pretty great news. And then I gave him $200. ( I had to pick up meds for the dog, too, sadly)
On the way to the vet though, the cat was crazy ass on speed stressed and all over the place. For lack of anything to do for him (he doesn’t like the cat carrier after last year’s injury that had him at the vet every 3 days for a month) I started singing the first song that came to me. It was a hymn my dad used to sing called Seek Ye First. Here is a random person singing it.
I sang it very quietly and he laid down and practically fell asleep. Also, hey God, are you trying to tell me something?
I did some strength training this morning. I’ll do more tonight and then I’ll run. Hopefully the wind goes home and doesn’t come back to stay. I don’t want it.
After a day like yesterday running doesn’t always help. We like to think all of our problems are fixed by a good run.
Telling someone your problems and getting a lot of advice you really didn’t want and definitely didn’t ask for…that doesn’t help for sure.
What helps is time with real actual problem solving. Talking to someone who makes a real honest legitimate effort to listen to you, to not judge you and to not offer unsolicited, mean spirited advice to you. Whether that is through a strong sane calm friend or therapy. And I think learning to work within your emotional and spiritual limitations recognizing we all have limitations. The point where we finally say we’re done and we aren’t going to not take care of ourselves anymore.
I believe there has to be a way to be a kind, generous person and also take care of yourself. To give and give lovingly with an unselfish heart.
Sometimes life is heavy. My usually joyful heart (ridiculously happy actually) is a little heavy right now. In a day or two I’ll be better. I get to see MT #thekidnotthestate
- Remember when you were a kid and you could call for the time and temperature? No? huh. Okay, well ask your mother. She’ll tell you when SHE was a kid you used to be able to call on the phone for the time and temperature. It was VERY popular and kids loved to do it because calling on the phone was cool and we didn’t have anytone else to call. They still have one that’s in use as a 24 hour clock that called UTC which is “Coordinated Universal Time” (randomly mixed up initials, right?) and it’s the same time as Greenwich Mean Time. They said they still get on average 2000 calls a day and people use it during daylight savings and to synchronize clocks and watches and for the calibration of stopwatches and timers.
- This is a great article on what to do if you lose your passport.
It’s not something we ever think would happen to us, and in the case of the person in the article I thought..yeah..I would never do THAT…but nevertheless accidents happen and situations happen and I like the tips to handle exactly what to do if it does come up. I appreciated the organization of it.
- 11 Expensive Habits That Are A Total Waste Of Money I’m not sure they’re all great money savers but some of them are definitely worth making a concerted effort on.
- 100 things to do in the Centennial State- I though this was a great list of things to do for Colorado but you could totally tailor it for your state and what a fun way to get through a summer!
- What Happened Today at the 2017 USA Outdoor Track & Field Championships Reading about these amazing women and how hard they worked for this race was really inspiring and though this kind of article doesn’t usually make me want to run (it usually just makes me incredibly proud of them) this one totally made me want to run. I’ll never be a world champion but to continue to show championship running and inspiration with the issues they have reminds me to get off my ass and out the door. From Gabe Grunewald (whose name reminds me of Harry Potter so I just love her more and more) who is undergoing chemotherapy to Alysia Montaño who is five months pregnant (seriously…five months pregnant!). Unbelievable. These women are so inspiring you really can’t say ~but I’m really tired. Damn it’s been a long day. I’m not really up to a run today~.
Oh the irony…I specifically waited until this evening because I KNEW it would be a beautiful evening to run. And then I got so caught up in all I had to do and I was on a roll plus…my basement is trying to flood…so I didn’t run. and I really really wanted to! But no.
I’m a little ashamed after that last awesome point.
To be fair..I’m stupid busy this week. I’ve been at the computer most of the day. Also doing laundry, doing the floors, and dealing with the ~I really want to flood~ basement.
I ran Friday and Saturday for about 3.5 miles each and I loved both runs. I walked a bit with each but they were so great and I came home pretty much loving life. I did some strength training both days also so I no longer feel like a COMPLETE marshmallow but I still feel the need for lifting.
This weather has been amazing and anytime the weather wants to stay down here in the 70’s I’m totally in thankyouverymuch. Tomorrow is going to be 84*. I won’t complain. It’s going to be in the mid 90’s in Virginia. I’m SUPER excited about that. I’ll add in that humidity and damn..life is good.
I think this is so true. Not just physical energy but emotional and spiritual energy, too.
First of all let me say we as ~fighters for all things positive and peaceful and beautiful and right in the government~ do not in any way condone or support the terrible shooting that happened yesterday at the baseball field to the congressmen and their aides and we hope everyone recovers both physically and emotionally from this tragedy.
The Great Fire of London. It already has a name. Such a horrible nightmare. It was hard to look at the pictures, those poor people. I can’t imagine the nightmare and terror they all went through and the fear those parents were feeling that threw their children out windows. I hope these people that put them in this situation are prosecuted to the full extent and given life in the worst prisons.
And finally…just because 45’s birthday is today…we don’t claim him. We just don’t. He doesn’t deserve a beautiful amazing June birthday.
That would fit. It’s not nearly as cute and I don’t feel like I have to tilt my head and twinkle when I say it.
My life feels favored. Don’t get me wrong…it has not been perfect but whose life is perfect? Don’t go by Facebook because I do know a few people who for SURE have the most enviable life on social media and in real life…they have the most normal, the most average, the most completely ~I have problems like everyone else~ life that other people have and they only show the pretty things.
But I have Sean.
Sean who makes everything revolve around me on my birthday. It’s ridiculous how fun he makes it. He is hilarious and awesome and adventurous and fabulous and I love every minute of all of it.
Yesterday, on my birthday, we went to Manitou Springs to climb the Manitou Incline.
This incline is 2090 ft in .9 miles. There’s about 3000 steps. If you are fit and healthy and exercise regularly it seems you can do the incline between 45 minutes and an hour. I’d bet money Sean could have finished in that time. He was doing really really well and only stayed behind for me.
We all know I haven’t been at my best for the last few weeks but lets face it, I’m still getting in shape and I will always and forever deal with migraines from exertion. Stairs equal exertion. I’m just asking for it. But I really really wanted to do it. So I figured I’d
It did anyway.
I am so high maintenance. This is just another reason Sean is so great. He went really slow just to give me time to get my slow self up those damn steps. It took me an unbelievable hour and 45 minutes.
My God. I’ve given birth faster.
That is actually not true. But it FEELS true.
Granted…it was like…80* and very little shade. It was warm.
See that peak at the very very top?? It’s not the top. It’s the false summit. Yep…You actually can’t see the top. Ha.
I wish there was a better photo of this so you could see he is balanced on this rock at the top of the incline…it was precarious.
This is the beautiful house we passed on the way there and Sean told me he’d buy it for me because he loves me. So there’s that. There’s a creek that runs in front of it. It’s really lovely and I need the house. Just sayin’. And that’s a photo of us at the top. Still smiling. Somehow.
And as I climbed each step I could feel my heart pounding the blood into my head. It was so unfriendly.
It really did feel pretty good to reach the top but I was already planning my strategy for doing it better the next time.
Castle Rock mini incline a few more times…
many many squats
Keeping up the running
So much planning
And from there I can attempt another climb.
If I do all that, I feel stronger and healthier, and I still get the same results…I’ll consider it my fate.
I don’t ever feel like I need to climb in 30 minutes like a crazy person but I’d like to be average for sure.
Meanwhile..if you’re a migraine sufferer…check out this important page for information. I learned more about physical exertion migraines today than I ever have. Stairs. Who knew?
The result, of course, is a pretty wicked migraine today…what I would totally rate as a solid 9 or a 10. I went to the dentist for a long ago scheduled cleaning and damn…I will never schedule any kind of dentist appointment during my beautiful birthday month again. How wrong is that. Let me hang upside down with a light in my eyes. That’s friendly.
The best part is all of this makes me sound all sickly and weak and I definitely don’t feel sickly and weak. I just feel like I’ve got a killer migraine today and I have to make better choices.
I think by the time you read this, I’ll be better. I medicated a lot and sleep will totally help. I long for a good run and a good workout where I feel my legs, my abs and my arms. STRENGTH PLEASE.
Also I want to go shopping at the second hand store and maybe hang with my girlfriend because I’m still in the middle of birthday week.
We are TOTALLY continuing the festivities.