- The Survivors – This is a powerful article about the survivors left behind when adventurers and climbers head out to tackle the world or the nearest giant mountain like Mt Everest. When they don’t come back because they’ve simply disappeared never to be found or they’ve had an accident and died, the people left behind have to live with the consequences and the climbers, though they care, they seem to be pulled to the mountain by a force so strong it overpowers the love of family, the love of father and mother even. It’s really emotional and powerful to think about the call of the mountain and specifically Everest. It seems to have such a pull to these climbers they put it above everyone and everything in their lives.
- Just a quick note about B12, we talked about it yesterday. If you’re thyroid gland is not working properly it can cause hypothyroidism and this could lead to a B12 deficiency. As we’ve discussed before, if you have any kind of thyroid disorders you are at a much higher risk of having Celiac disease and should absolutely be tested. It’s an easy blood test and fairly inexpensive (hopefully your insurance covers it but these days…who knows but it really doesn’t hurt to ask your doctor…just remember to give a very strong case). The following are some symptoms of B12 deficiency however…as with anything these are only the most common symptoms. I did my own searching to find other symptoms and found eye problems among other issues. As you can see these symptoms could easily be symptoms of Celiac or even just hypothyroidism. You can get a blood test to see if you’re B12 is okay. I just know I’m Celiac and I’m always deficient in everything so I boosted my B12. Hopefully it works for the eye.
The most common include fatigue, constipation, decreased appetite, tingling in the hands and feet, impaired memory, depression, and soreness of the tongue.
- Up and Humming just commented on yesterday’s blog to tell me Topiramate has a side effect that causes eye twitching and sure enough it does. I’ve been on it for probably ten years and never get any side effects from it but it’s high time I did. I’ve asked my doctor if I can go off of it multiple times but he wants me to stay on it for now. I just asked him again because I don’t want to be on eight million drugs. Hopefully he gets back to me today.
Actually I’m pretty patient but who doesn’t love a HP gif?
- I am…as I am typing this…on the phone one more time with the menu system people from hell. I got a different person this time and she said “we are going to figure this out”. I like her. I told her my next step is to drive down there and possibly chain myself to a tree to be heard. OH MY GOSH> three minutes later and they found it. I love her. ❤ I ended up calling the benefits people, too, and I feel confident we have this thing licked.
#Iamgratefulforhealthcare #Iamgratefulforhealthcare #dailyreminders
I have the wrong kind of health insurance…
- The high today is 94*. It’s currently 96.5*. Doesn’t appear to be slowing down…it’s only 2:30
I got a wicked migraine last night, I blame the wind. So I ended up just walking Malachi because it was too much to think of running but I’ll run tonight and I plan a quick HIIT workout or some strength this afternoon since I haven’t done anything since Friday.
Tag Archives: celiac
- My friend lost her brother last week and I am incredibly sad for her. While out of town for her brother’s funeral she found out her dog was hit by a car. I don’t know the circumstances but the love they had for that tiny little puppy, seriously…he was the cutest thing ever. My heart is just broken. She’s a kind loving sweet friend who cares for people so much. There’s no answer for why but this is a tough one to power through. I hurt for her. I wish I could help her and her family right now. ❤
- I have a friend who is diagnosed ADHD. Let me restate that. I have several friends who are actually diagnosed ADHD. I know I am ADHD and I know for SURE Sean is ADD. Apparently birds of a feather and all that…. but my friend swears by the meds she takes and says she feels like a normal person for the first time. She can think straight. She doesn’t feel stupid. She can make conscious thoughts and process them properly. I’m hoping I can straighten out my brain out so I can do the same thing. I’m making progress I think.
- Did I mention I’ve had a twitching eye? It did that years ago and we couldn’t figure out why, finally narrowing it down to the wrong thyroid medication. This time I thought I was overmedicated again but I think I figured it out by accident. I woke up this morning after having a fairly good nights sleep. I normally sleep about four to five hours and last night I got like…six hours. Great, right? Got dressed, hopped in the car and started driving to go for a run and started yawning. At this point I thought…I have got to be low on B12. What the hell? So I stopped to get B12 supplements. When you’re Celiac you’re always short on freaking everything. FunFact: you need your ID to buy B12 supplements. Anyway, I bought a spray so it would go straight to me and I also bought a pill. I immediately sprayed and checked it out…my eye stopped twitching. So I googled it and yep….it’s a thing. The things you learn. The sad thing is if I take too much I can get itchy. Just.what.I.need. The brain fog is also a symptom of B12 deficiency so let’s hope all this is helped soon from the b12 boost.
- I officially have a dress for the wedding thanksbetoGod. What’s it like to be normal sized? Yes, I need to have it tailored. That’s my next step. And for people who think I can relax now, I still need jewelry, a jacket, shoes, find a hair person…you get the gist. Are we having fun yet? LOL
- In May I took my measurements so I could have a baseline. I don’t weigh myself so I wanted to make sure I knew where I was starting. I felt very frustrated with my own progress so even though I exercised regularly I didn’t check my measurements every week to see how I was doing. Yesterday though I did check because I figured two months had passed and please tell me I’d made SOME progress. Also, my clothes were fitting better. ha. Odds were in my favor. Turns out yes, I’ve lost about two inches in my waste and ribcage which is about where I figured I had. My arms are the same (not friendly thanks but no thanks to the strength training) and my hips are the same) curse you children…(not really, I totally love you but damn you hips). And when I took my measurements I put them on a sticky note and I put them in code. Not purposely, I just wrote them down using the first letter. Seriously, it was pure laziness because (and this is not a lie, it’s my personality) I always believe I’ll totally remember what I was thinking when I did it so I wrote a “th” down as 36″. Now…I have to tell you, I have no idea what “th” is except maybe I was measuring my thigh and if I was please don’t tell me it’s 36″. So….yeah. No clues where my brain was there. I got a good giggle out of it though. And I went over all the rest and it all is accounted for. It’ll come to me at 3am probably. I’m relishing in the fact that at least I’ve lost the two inches.
- Friday I ran a quick 3.5 miles and it was pouring rain…this was the best run and I loved every minute of it. I came home dripping wet and excited to get up and run again. Saturday I got up ready to go run and do the incline but it failed miserably. Sean and I headed downtown to attempt and outing and IT failed miserably but we walked and walked and walked so I ended up calling that my workout. I’m aiming to Sunday. Today I’m hoping to get up early and try the incline again and then we’re attempting our outing again. I really need a run. It’s addictive.
- So…Mandy Moore from This is Us has Celiac disease. This could be big. OR…it could totally screw us. Depends on how she handles it. Either way it definitely draws attention to the disease. Jennifer Esposito is nothing to sneeze at but This is Us is currently one of the biggest shows out there so Mandy Moore is a big name to have.
- My friend, Amy, and her husband and son are coming to town today. They’ve been touring Colorado on vacation and I’m super excited to get to hang with her while she’s here. We’re supposed to run together on Wednesday and I hope she likes running at ridiculously early hours of the morning or late at night because Girl it’s supposed to be 96* and I don’t run in that heat so it’s either in the morning dark or in the evening dark. Meanwhile, we’re going to dinner tonight at Beau Jo’s because Beau Jo’s is TOTALLY Colorado and also I can eat gluten free there. It’ll be fun to meet her.
- I sit at the counter next to the sliding glass door to type on the computer. The door is open most of the day leaving the possibility for anyone to come in. Including 8 legged creatures. And they do come in. Every few weeks I’ll find a visitor on the counter or on the wall next to me. You’d think I’d move. Sometimes I sit at my desk, it depends on my mood. Tonight, it was midnight and I was sitting at the counter and there on the wall next to me was a spider just climbing up the wall. I decided I would be a grown up. I would take care of it. I get my notebook and I stand up so I can get a better angle and it FALLS OFF THE WALL AND IS NOW ANYWHERE IT’S ANYONE’S GUESS WHERE IT IS PANIC PANIC AND I SCREAM BECAUSE….
well, because that’s what I do when I am startled by a spider. It’s super helpful. Sean slowly comes downstairs. I describe the offender. He finds it on the floor and takes care of it with my notebook and heads back to bed. I ask him if he laughs when he hears the scream or rolls his eyes. He said he just sighs.
Life with me. Poor guy.
- I think I’m overmedicated for my thyroid. It’s just a guess but my eye is twitching and the last time that happened it was my thyroid. I’m pretty over it. Between that and the Celiac exhaustion I just want to close my eyes and sleep for three days. I’m self adjusting to see if it helps.
- We Put 6 Top Leggings Brands To The Test—Here’s The Verdict
I really appreciate someone else doing the work on this. I’m not a fan of leggings (I know!) but occasionally they make a really cute outfit. I 99.9% of the time would never wear them to Target as part of my ~just finished my workout and needed to make a quick stop~ outfit. It’s happened but it’s not my favorite. I agree with her entire assessment so I’ll be scoping out Athleta for a nice pair, to include shorts. Athleta sells my favorite shorts I bought earlier this year and sticker shock sent me returning them. I’m totally sorry I did because the shorts I bought instead at Ann Taylor (usually a favorite store) are truly terrible. Less than half the cost, I hate them completely and never ever wear them. I should have paid the gasp price and bought the pair I would wear every day.
Things I have to have in a pair of leggings:
1. no shine
2. enough thickness to not see through but not too thick
3. enough spandex to grip and hold so the leggings feel like they are actually doing something.
- This Map Shows How Much People Spend On Wedding Gifts In Each State
Obviously this is an average, the article makes it clear you can start at a much lower amount and there are many factors to be considered in the gift giving. And of course the real point is your presence at the day of. That’s the most important thing.
- It’s 94* today and I don’t want to play anymore. I want fall. I’m going to HIIT>
Friday night Sean had an event to go to so I figured man…I’m goin’ to the the Incline and I’m gettin’ my climb on.
I headed down there late so the sun was setting but I didn’t care. The park is made up of several small “areas” that go together to make one big park. There’s an amphitheater, multiple playgrounds for multiple age groups, a covered picnic area you can rent out with firepits, a soccer field, the incline and a zip line. It’s pretty huge. When I got there the sun was setting so there were fires going at all the sites and the trees had white Christmas lights on them around the amphitheater for a concert. It was pretty gorgeous.
I joined a few other people and climbed the incline, ran down the trail and did that three times for a total of about three miles give or take. Since it was getting dark the mice and bunnies felt comfortable making themselves known on the trail. I thought it was a giggle since you couldn’t tell what it was darting across your toes but it made some people a little uncomfortable.
Just kidding Michelle…
Saturday Michelle and I went hiking at White Ranch Open Space Park. It was seriously GORGEOUS. Also, they weren’t kidding about the open space part but that’s for later.
Photo credit: Michelle because I am too lazy to take the photos from my phone.
Yes, that’s a thing. My phone is across the room. Michelle’s photos are right here on the computer.
Don’t judge me. Its 1am and I’m really tired. Also, we took the Rawhide trail and every single time I read it I sang “rawhide”. even in my head. Ask Michelle. I did it. It was irritating even to me but I couldn’t stop doing it.
This trail was incredible at the beginning. Truly beautiful, the views, the trail, everything. It was technical but not too technical. It was interesting and not crowded. It had everything. It was like the perfect boyfriend.
And then it got clingy and we dumped him like a bad habit.
We apparently went 4.5 miles all total. So I’d say the first half was good and the second half became out in the open, much wider trail (almost like a small road) and all painfully uphill. Not “hey, this is a cool trail that’s challenging my climbing skills”. No. More like ~apparently you felt the need to experience a death march~ uphill.
Okay, okay. I’m CLEARLY exaggerating. But it was hot and it was uphill and we’d get to the top and turn and there’d be MORE UPHILL and MORE ROAD and MORE NO TREES and I totally lost interest. I’m like…what the hell? If there isn’t anything interesting then I’m just on a long boring walk and I’m hot. Hell, I could do this in Aurora and have ice cream at the end. What’s at the end of this for me?
Not ice cream.
I was very disappointed because the beginning was incredibly promising and I really really loved it. There are a bajillion trails in the area so maybe a different one would offer a more interesting hike but I doubt it. Sean looked it up when we got home and it rated that hike as the most popular in that area. I still kind of want to try again though. On a cooler day maybe I won’t dislike it so much. I don’t usually mind the heat that much but the uphill made me not like it. It was tragically boring. Michelle is totally the only thing keeping it fun. I love her. She entertains me endlessly.
You should see her freak out when she sees a snake.
Yep. It’s a lot like that only with running around. hahaha. I love it.
We saw TWO snakes on this trail and her reaction is priceless. Fortunately both snakes were small and neither was a rattlesnake. But just in case we implemented an early plan for what to do in case she gets bit by a snake. I clearly can’t carry her out so I’ll get to cell service and call for help and then get back to her to keep the snakes away. CALL FOR HELP CALL FOR HELP.
It’s a plan.
Hey. I’m not proud. I’m exactly the same way with spiders.
I came home, showered and went dress shopping.
::sob:: I’m so over dress shopping
Sunday I had a migraine so we skipped the big workout/hike/let’s do something wild and awesome together and instead we….
We did, however, go to lunch with Adam and Shaughnessy and theboy and laughed our asses off because we could. Damn that was a good time. We sat at lunch for like two hours.
730 South. This place is great and I highly recommend. also Celiac safe. I spend way too much time at this place. I should work there. I need the discount.
Then I went….
Dress shopping again.
I think I’ve made progress though. And also I brought several people over to the dark side of the dress situation so now I’m not so alone.
I’ve eliminated some that were possibilities, I’ve found one that might work and I’ve found a few that are definitely on the radar.
I’m feeling better about things. I’m going to work on that and rehearsal dinner stuff this week. I’m sure everyone is thinking…what’s the big deal? but anyone that really knows me must know I can’t rest until I get these things checked off the list so I can stop worrying.
Today I am going to run and HIIT.
It’s also 93* so holy cow… it’s hot. IT’S HOT.
And I’m sure I have errands and such to get done but my brain is no longer working.
What are YOU doing today? Something interesting?
Love to my friend who lost her brother this week…
Hope you guys have a good Monday…
Wild ponies have inhabited Assateague Island for hundreds of years. Some have suggested that the wild ponies of Assateague trace their origin to horses released to forage on the Island by early settlers. However, the evidence strongly sugests that they are the descendants of the survivors of a Spanish galleon which wrecked off the coast of Assateague. This story, which has been passed from generation to generation on Chincoteague Island, is stronger than fiction. source
When I was little I read this book called Misty of Chincoteague. There was actually a series but this was the first. It’s a true story based on the ponies of Chincoteague Island. I loved it immediately. I loved the idea there was a pony island and these beautiful ponies lived there wild and free. It made me so happy and like all little kids, I used to dream I’d get to go visit the island.
The book was written in 1947 so that dates me a bit (not too much, I was born twenty years later) but I still loved it even with its age.
When we decided to go to Virginia I somehow got a twinge of…I wonder?? And I pulled up Google to see if Chincoteague Island was anywhere near where MT was stationed. It was four hours away.
Four hours was totally driving distance OR it could be really really far away depending on who you’re asking. MT is definitely up for an adventure and didn’t hesitate. He dove right in and said we could totally go.
Day 3 started innocently enough. I threw a quick dress on and some sandals with a little heel because I was going to be riding in the car instead of walking everywhere. It was super comfortable and easy.
I chose to ride in the back seat, I’m shorter and I figure for long distances it’s just more comfortable for the tall people to be in the front.
If you guys recall, Sean plays a game called Ingress. In DC it’s an opportunity for new portals and whatnot (I kind of know what I’m talking about and kind of not). Just off base there was a trail where they were going to go “just a little ways on the trail, just a few feet” and I said okay…no problem. I’ll just stay in the truck.
I mean I’m in my dress and little sandals. Who goes hiking in that??
So I stayed in the backseat, turned myself so my feet were up on the seat and I was leaning against the door and I played on my phone. MT left the truck running for air conditioning and I waited. and waited. and waited.
they were gone like…a half an hour (that’s a long time). While they were gone there was a woman standing in front of the truck for a while on her phone. It was kind of random and I watched her for a minute but whatever. I just went back and forth. Phone…random woman. Phone. Random woman. Eventually she left and I stopped caring.
Nearly a half an hour later MT comes back without Sean. He’s sitting there waiting with me and a police officer pulls up with a base MP. He comments that they aren’t here for us. Then they walk up to the truck…
“Maybe they ARE here for us”, he says…
The officer looks in the truck and says, “nevermind. We got a report of a truck with someone lying down in the back. We check these things out to make sure there aren’t any dead bodies but everyone seems fine here”.
THE CHICK ON THE PHONE
Yes. The chick on the phone who ACTUALLY LOOKED at me. I LOOKED at her. I WATCHED her on the phone with the cops. What a twit. I was leaning against the door and my feet were up on the seat but I could see straight out the front window and I could see her on her phone! What did she think I was doing? Head up…head down…head up…looking at her. We LOOKED at each other.
I can’t even. Seriously.
He took MT’s information so he could have it for his report and then he and the base MP left. So…
that was exciting.
You can imagine Sean’s confusion when he came back to us with all the police cars. Ha. I always was a trouble maker.
We left from there to head to the island and things got better from there. I mean, they would have to. I was dead and then I wasn’t. It was tragic and then it wasn’t.
I died and then I didn’t.
Reports of my death and all that…
It took four hours and LOTS of heavy traffic but we eventually got to the island and then I really did die of sheer joy. It was an incredible feeling. Driving to the island…over the bridges (the bridges!) and the water (oh man the water!) so incredible. Our hotel room didn’t suck. That’s so happy! Parking was awful. AWFUL. But we went out to dinner at the ONLY place open at a ridiculous hour of the night and ate outside in beautiful breezy ocean air on a sandy beach and had crab legs. IT WAS SO AWESOME.
Then we sat around the fire and enjoyed the evening and thought…this is the best night. It cannot get any better than this.
And then it maybe did.
Day four we headed down to the docks to meet up with Captain Dan! (please say that like a super hero. I’m sure he doesn’t but that’s how I say it in my head… CAPtainDAN!) We took a lovely boat ride that was several hours long that took us all the way around the island and over to Assateague island where the ponies are kept now away from prying annoying people.
It’s well known I don’t love being wet but I love the water so much. I could live on a boat and Sean and I have dreamed many times of boat living and sailing around the world. We would do that in a heart beat. So those hours on the water were incredible.
Assateague Island is a national park now and could not be more lovely. The ponies are on the island and protected.
We went from there to the beach where Sean and MT played in the Atlantic Ocean for a couple of hours and had an amazing time. I could watch that forever. I hated to leave. It was the fourth of July weekend. Apparently the island’s busiest weekend of the year. An insane time to be visiting and the beach showed it. But it didn’t matter. There were people everywhere but people were great and we had a wonderful time just playing on the beach, in the water and having so much fun. Day four was the best day.
Holy Hot Batman…it reached 103* in Aurora today. That’s nuts. I do not appreciate that kind of heat and I’m a little upset about it. I would like to point out it’s 6pm right now and it’s DOWN to 100*. Thank you climate change (global warming…whatever).
MT’s girlfriend, Allie, stayed at the house pet sitting (side note: Skosh fell in love with her and may have tried smuggling himself out in her bag) and we were so grateful. We just totally relaxed and trusted they would be taken care of. Skosh is pretty easy but Malachi is definitely a little more difficult with his anxiety (thank you Shiba Inu puppy genetics) and life in general.
We flew #Southwest We loved nearly every bit of the experience. We didn’t love not getting to sit together and we each got kind of not great seats but in the grand scheme we would get terrible seats with any airline so there you go. Every single employee we ran into was not only cheerful but had a great sense of humor and seemed happy to be there. What is #Southwest doing right? While we waited we were originally told there would be a four hour delay (gasp!) then they stepped it back and said half an hour so actually they apparently fly like I parent.
No no. It’s possible. Totally a thing.
I loved it immediately. I mean, I couldn’t do a thing with my hair and if I lived there I would totally go super short again like I used to. It was awful and hung super straight the whole time. NOT my most flattering for sure. But my skin…oh man. The moment we landed my skin said, “so this is where all the moisture is!”
yes. Yes it is. And you’re welcome!
I loved every minute of it. It was delicious. NO ITCHING FOR FIVE DAYS!
For me, the Itching Celiac (#weirdblognameideas) that was a big deal. I mean, I moisturize like there is no tomorrow. I keep lotions and oils and everything in the house. I am a moisturizing fool. It does me no good.
MT hates it. To his defense, you do feel sticky and hot 90% of the time but really…it was so worth the trade off to me.
Whenever I trip plan I live in fear with each step of the way. It’s the worrier in me. Did I screw up the flight? I panic until we’re on the plane. Did I screw up the hotel room somehow? I panic until I’m in the room. What about tours or events? I panic I panic I panic. Finding hotel rooms for the four days was seriously difficult. I got the last ones, no joke, all over the place because it was the fourth of July weekend. Each room apparently only had one bed and they threw a rollaway in the room or there was a pullout. I offered to sleep on one of those for him but he would have had to sleep with his dad and well, there’s not enough love there. Whatever. Next time I do this I’ll totally upgrade and my kid gets bonus points. He suffered. His bed was thisclose to the air conditioner and he froze his ass off. I OFFERED. I offered many options. He stayed.
I didn’t really have a whole lot of control over this one. It was just too tightly booked and no give. But I still felt bad. I wish there was another option so he’d have somewhere more comfortable. I would have considered a second room just so he could be comfortable. He suffered through it. I was bummed. It wasn’t about me though, it was about him and we really didn’t want him uncomfortable.
I don’t sleep well when I’m out of town and definitely not when this much stuff is in my head so I woke up at like…4am. So when I woke up I decided to go for a walk in incredible cool foggy Virginia morning air. I should have run but I thought I’d run later. It never happened so I’m glad I got my four miles in earlier. Then we walked all over DC so I at least got exercise that day!
On our first day we headed into DC to “see the monuments”. Only we didn’t really want to see monuments because we’ve already seen them before so we kind of wanted to see stuff we hadn’t already seen before and if we walked past monuments then…that’s cool. They’re monuments. Who doesn’t like those? We spent a very VERY hot day in DC with 8,476,300 people who also happened to be in DC at the same time. People were nice and polite and patient considering how crazy it was. We used to play a game at the dinner table “give me your highs and lows for the day”. So I asked the guys for their best moments of DC…here’s what we came up with.
- Exorcist steps. The steps the priest fell down in the movie The Exorcist. I don’t watch horror movies (well I for sure don’t) but this movie I did. Sean and I watched it many years ago when we were really young because the whole world watched it and it felt like it was important. The steps are in Georgetown and I could live there it’s so beautiful. I loved Georgetown so much. As we pulled in to our parking spot just down the street from the stairs, three darling girls walked past the car. MT silently watches. Then says quietly, “I need to come to Georgetown more often…”. I’m sure Allie would disagree.
- Arlington National Cemetery. An event in and of itself because it’s so lovely. We loved the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and the guard change. I don’t know how they do it. It was so unbelievably hot and muggy and they were out there in those heavy dress uniforms my own boys have a love/hate relationship with. It’s beautiful in all it’s dedication and tradition.
- We wandered from there to the White House. I can’t link it, the page has Trump’s face. I might explode. Full disclosure I did not want to go there. I’m not exactly feeling super patriotic and I could care less about the White House right now but we were within a half block of it really so we kept going and check it out it was smaller than I thought. Huh. It always seems so blessed huge. While we stood there, we took note of the many uniformed secret service surrounding the building and watching the crowds. Also, MT and I took note of the running vehicle with the two plainclothes officers sitting in it across the street. Totally not average citizens due to the vehicle being in such close proximity to the White House. At some point a guard realized someone had left a backpack behind. Upon much LOUD questioning, no one claimed it and we were all hastily evacuated out of the area. The two guys in the car were suddenly very much involved and right in the center of things. The guards kept moving the perimeter further and further back…street upon street upon street. Bomb squad people came in. It was pretty damn exciting. What happened then? Oh, yeah…we don’t know. Wasn’t on the news and we didn’t stick around but it was still cool.
- We finished the day at GCDC Grilled Cheese Bar which absolutely was the best place we ate at the entire time we were in Virginia. Gourmet grilled cheese, tater tots, beer, tomato soup…I died and went to heaven. SO GOOD> All Celiac friendly. Seriously…amazing. The servers were soo great. They helped Sean out with his soy allergy and were just overall a total “10”.
Yesterday was so off I don’t even want to talk about it. My whole day was off.
Last night the wind and the rain was terrible and this morning my head is telling me just how bad it was. So I’m drugged up and healing.
It’s a high of like…76* today. Right now it’s 51*.
This is going to be a great running day
Here’s a fun little fact.
I inappropriately talk about my drug use. Drug use being…prescribed medication for migraine use.
It’s my morbid sense of humor.
I don’t want to make light at all of the serious issues of drug abuse that is prevalent right now in the country. But I also know that I have to deal with my own situation and coping skills being what they are…this is my way.
I have been carefully monitored on medication for my migraines since I was in high school. Truth be told I’ve been prescribed many different kinds, some at the same time. My doctors can tell by how quickly I go through it and my ridiculous level of honesty that I’m not an addict.
After years of being on meds I just short form my terminology. My husband will come home and he’ll ask if I’m ok…my answer will be “yes but I’m on drugs” or worse…”I’m a little stoned”. I KNOW. I recognize the inappropriate but again..they know me. They know what I’m talking about. They know it’s all talk.
He knows I’m on prescribed medication attempting to make a migraine go away. My kids know that, too. Anyone that knows me AT ALL knows this.
I find it truly amusing when someone who should know me gets concerned when they overhear me say it. Thinking perhaps…I’m not taking care of myself.
It’s okay. I’m taking very good care of myself.
Years of throwing up (thank you Celiac)….I also don’t have bulimia or any other kind of eating disorder. If you don’t know someone, for example, if you don’t talk to them or know them at all, you don’t get to comment because you aren’t in their life and you aren’t in their shoes.
When Catherine was here we stopped at Family Dollar to grab a soda and while we were there she paused at the dollar candy boxes. She’s working really hard to get in shape and lose weight (like the rest of us) and I told her…don’t do it. You’re doing so great. Don’t do it.
I’m sure she was offended but she walked away and I felt bad. It was rude and I should have minded my own business. But if she bought them she’d bring them into my house and then I’d be weak because I live for Hot Tamales.
What I really meant was (and I told her this later) don’t do it because I WILL WANT THE HOT TAMALES
And I did.
And 2am I was so damn craving those Hot Tamales. I wanted them and I still do. It’s stupid because I can go weeks and weeks without wanting them but as soon as I give any time to looking at the box…I want them.
She told me she just wanted a couple of them but I’ll tell you right now I will eat the entire box of Hot Tamales depending on the day. Some days I just want a few and some days…I want them all.
But damn…it’s close. I really like them.
I’m going to run and maybe do a little strength training. Nothing crazy because of the headache but for sure get something done.
And I have a crazy long list of errands.
and just enjoy the cool day. SO much love for the day.
I’m working on a project for Alex and Megan’s wedding. Megan asked for photos of Alex ages 1-13. It’s harder than it sounds. Now I’m going through old photos and I’m sucked down the rabbit hole. So many photos and oh the lessons I’ve learned.
I used to make multiple copies so I could send them to parents, scrapbook, etc. And when we lived overseas it was easier and cheaper to just get a copy of everything rather than just get a few (this was years ago…my kids were little and now I have a grandson, you do the math but don’t share because it’ll just hurt my delicate feelings). This has resulted in a RIDICULOUS amount of too many of just…everything.
My next project is to sort and recycle.
That is totally going to reduce the amount of photos I have. Then I can scan them into my computer and in a perfect world if I don’t scrap it…I can toss it.
Also…digital scrapping is totally up my alley. I have a LOT of photos. I’m not a fan but I’ve done it before and I’m thinking…I need to do this.
I woke up on Sunday and immediately spent the day eating vanilla ice cream and Tostitos. One of those two things I don’t like.
If you know me, can you tell me which one?
Sunday was only 80*. ONLY 80*!
I don’t know whether to laugh or cry.
update: turns out Sunday was like…87* Stupid weatherman. (not really. They have a hard job)
I put a free ad on Craigstlist to get rid of some tiles and vinyl flooring. Just leftover pieces. Good Lord this was an experience. I got inundated with like…30 emails in a few hours…and then nobody would respond! People…that’s how it works.
You answer the ad.
I respond to YOU.
Then you come and get the tile.
So I reposted it and trying again. Also…I’m getting a lot of this: I say “please email me, thanks!” and they say, “I’ll totally come get your tile! Call me!”
No. No I won’t call you. You need to work the email system. Thank you.
Also…take all the flooring or none of it. That’s the rule.
I just ate a banana (not my favorite) with an individual packet of Justin’s vanilla almond butter (oh my gosh that’s delicious, I’ve never had the vanilla before…it’s killer good) and as I finished the packet I noticed the expiration date was early 2016. If I die…well…just yuck. And how sad to go out eating. Man…that is not how I want to go out. Eating.
If you don’t hear from me after Monday…maybe shoot out a message alert. Someone look for the body.
Shaughnessy and Adam came over for dinner on Saturday and we ended up discussing all the amazing shows available to watch. There is no time…NO TIME. I would have to give up all life and spend 24 hours a day and then even still…I wouldn’t be able to see it all.
I love television.
Also, I love books.
There’s just no time.
It’s Monday so I’m fixing Sean a quick lunch before he heads out the door. I, in my glutened ” brain fog” state of mind (that lasts far too long in my opinion) bought an apple pie for a family barbecue this weekend. He enjoyed it two days in a row. This morning he flipped the box and read the soy on it.
I poisoned him.
He’s been so sick.
I am going out right now for a VERY hot run (I really want to run and I just can never seem to get out the door when it’s still cool out so…I’m heading out when it’s hot. The run will suck. It will be walking, I’m sure. But it must be done if I’ll ever plan on running again. Also, I have a nagging little pain in my right leg (very minor and very nagging) from the incline last week. I really want to stretch it out after my run.
Then I’m going to HIIT when I get home. I’ve lost track of any sense of muscles or abs or freakin’ anything really.
Sister Catherine and her husband, Keith are flying through town tonight so I’m going to pick up groceries for company and hopefully not randomly decide to paint a room.
Ah…if you don’t read me normally, you have no idea what that means but it doesn’t mean I have to spruce up my house for company. It means once I start one thing I can’t be stopped. And it’s usually the wrong thing. Welcome to my messed up brain.
First of all let me say we as ~fighters for all things positive and peaceful and beautiful and right in the government~ do not in any way condone or support the terrible shooting that happened yesterday at the baseball field to the congressmen and their aides and we hope everyone recovers both physically and emotionally from this tragedy.
The Great Fire of London. It already has a name. Such a horrible nightmare. It was hard to look at the pictures, those poor people. I can’t imagine the nightmare and terror they all went through and the fear those parents were feeling that threw their children out windows. I hope these people that put them in this situation are prosecuted to the full extent and given life in the worst prisons.
And finally…just because 45’s birthday is today…we don’t claim him. We just don’t. He doesn’t deserve a beautiful amazing June birthday.
That would fit. It’s not nearly as cute and I don’t feel like I have to tilt my head and twinkle when I say it.
My life feels favored. Don’t get me wrong…it has not been perfect but whose life is perfect? Don’t go by Facebook because I do know a few people who for SURE have the most enviable life on social media and in real life…they have the most normal, the most average, the most completely ~I have problems like everyone else~ life that other people have and they only show the pretty things.
But I have Sean.
Sean who makes everything revolve around me on my birthday. It’s ridiculous how fun he makes it. He is hilarious and awesome and adventurous and fabulous and I love every minute of all of it.
Yesterday, on my birthday, we went to Manitou Springs to climb the Manitou Incline.
This incline is 2090 ft in .9 miles. There’s about 3000 steps. If you are fit and healthy and exercise regularly it seems you can do the incline between 45 minutes and an hour. I’d bet money Sean could have finished in that time. He was doing really really well and only stayed behind for me.
We all know I haven’t been at my best for the last few weeks but lets face it, I’m still getting in shape and I will always and forever deal with migraines from exertion. Stairs equal exertion. I’m just asking for it. But I really really wanted to do it. So I figured I’d
It did anyway.
I am so high maintenance. This is just another reason Sean is so great. He went really slow just to give me time to get my slow self up those damn steps. It took me an unbelievable hour and 45 minutes.
My God. I’ve given birth faster.
That is actually not true. But it FEELS true.
Granted…it was like…80* and very little shade. It was warm.
See that peak at the very very top?? It’s not the top. It’s the false summit. Yep…You actually can’t see the top. Ha.
I wish there was a better photo of this so you could see he is balanced on this rock at the top of the incline…it was precarious.
This is the beautiful house we passed on the way there and Sean told me he’d buy it for me because he loves me. So there’s that. There’s a creek that runs in front of it. It’s really lovely and I need the house. Just sayin’. And that’s a photo of us at the top. Still smiling. Somehow.
And as I climbed each step I could feel my heart pounding the blood into my head. It was so unfriendly.
It really did feel pretty good to reach the top but I was already planning my strategy for doing it better the next time.
Castle Rock mini incline a few more times…
many many squats
Keeping up the running
So much planning
And from there I can attempt another climb.
If I do all that, I feel stronger and healthier, and I still get the same results…I’ll consider it my fate.
I don’t ever feel like I need to climb in 30 minutes like a crazy person but I’d like to be average for sure.
Meanwhile..if you’re a migraine sufferer…check out this important page for information. I learned more about physical exertion migraines today than I ever have. Stairs. Who knew?
The result, of course, is a pretty wicked migraine today…what I would totally rate as a solid 9 or a 10. I went to the dentist for a long ago scheduled cleaning and damn…I will never schedule any kind of dentist appointment during my beautiful birthday month again. How wrong is that. Let me hang upside down with a light in my eyes. That’s friendly.
The best part is all of this makes me sound all sickly and weak and I definitely don’t feel sickly and weak. I just feel like I’ve got a killer migraine today and I have to make better choices.
I think by the time you read this, I’ll be better. I medicated a lot and sleep will totally help. I long for a good run and a good workout where I feel my legs, my abs and my arms. STRENGTH PLEASE.
Also I want to go shopping at the second hand store and maybe hang with my girlfriend because I’m still in the middle of birthday week.
We are TOTALLY continuing the festivities.