- I’m playing with my blog…you may have noticed. Since I have a list of approximately 37 things to get done I think it’s the equivalent of cleaning out my closet instead of preparing my house for company. It’s not quite avoidance it’s just one thing led to another and at 3am when I couldn’t sleep I started messing with things and there you have it. I don’t know how I’ll leave it so if you show up tomorrow it could be another surprise! It’s like a new dress every day. Sometimes it’s a good thing and sometimes it’s not. I’ll try and get the work done quickly and thank you for your patience!
- Malachi and I went for a lovely walk tonight. We went a different direction which completely freaks him out. He does not like change. He pulls on the leash and lean towards the regular trail to the park where he has taken a walk nearly every day for the last twelve years. You’d think he’d be bored. The new direction provides him with 472 places to stop and sniff. It took us a while to get home.
- I’m in a baking kind of mood but I’m not in an eating kind of mood so I’m going to try some glutened stuff. I have a friend that is loaning me her glutened food processor because I just cannot go buy another item that I’ll use once a year if I’m lucky. Plus who knows how good this will be. I’ll give it a shot and if it’s good maybe I’ll make it again, if not..well…I tried. I’m an average cook. No awards here. FYI: there is no flour involved and I’m wearing gloves. All precautions will be taken…
- My friend is going to Peru in like…7 days but she’s waiting on her all important visa and passport to come back from the consulate. Can you guess where the consulate is? Yep…Houston. They’ve given her updates. It’s closed until Tuesday the 4th…then they believe it’s ready to go and they’ll overnight it. Meanwhile, neither of us is sleeping because she’ll lose her trip and I worry for her. Now, grand scheme~ is this more important the the people who have lost their lives and their homes? Absolutely not. And if it doesn’t come through for her she’s decided she wasn’t meant to go right now and thank the Lord for insurance. But it hasbeen a year of planning so there will be a certain level of disappointment for sure.
- Devon Yanko, female champion of the Leadville Trail 100 Run wrote her story and it’s such a pleasure to read. I love to read about people that are running for the sheer joy of it. Those of us that live here feel a particular bond to this race and after Sean and I “ran” ~I use that word loosely~ the Leadville Heavy Half we are in awe of everyone that runs it. It’s an incredible show of personal strength and courage just to run the race but to win it with joy and grace is the icing. It’s a great read. Leadville 100 Mile
- I get a billion emails ~no, I’m not exaggerating, why would you think I’m exaggerating?~ every day about this race company or that race company and they’re all offering a race coming up I should totally sign up for. Every time I go to delete it and instead I think…hm. Just in case I fall in love with one of these races I better not. I better keep getting these race notifications. FYI I have never once not one time never have I ever signed up for a race that came through via my email…anyone else? How do you sign up for races? Facebook? Email? Friend? Do you go looking?
- I’m running this weekend but I’m also grabbing some incline work. I need to get my stairs in at least once…maybe a couple times before the 9/11 stair climb that Michelle totally suckered me into. Geez I will sign up for anything. We’ve nearly done the whole thing once before just to see what it was going to be about and neither of us felt like we were going to die but still I’d like to be slightly more prepared. Maybe we’ll go to the Shrine of Cabrini…we get our stairs in and some meditation and spirituality, too. I could use some silence right now.
Okay this is just funny but it’s not motivating so just laugh at it and move on past!
This is 100% true.
I hope you guys aren’t too overwhelmed with “Celiac” information because I’m going to throw you a little more. We’re going to do Ten Facts of Celiac Disease. Too much information can be overwhelming but a “ten facts” list is quick and dirty. Here we go…
- Celiac Disease is an inherited disease.
- Celiac tends to remain dormant but can be triggered or “woken up” after childbirth, surgery or a traumatic event of some sort
- You can test negative and still test positive at a later date
- The average age to be diagnosed is 40-60 years old
- Celiac disease is an autoimmune disease, not an allergy
- Celiac is very connected to thyroid disorders. If you have a thyroid disorder you should be tested for Celiac. It’s a very simple blood test.
- If you have Celiac you have a much higher risk of having another autoimmune disorder disorder (I have Raynaud’s also)
- approximately 1% of the population has Celiac disease
- It’s possible to have Celiac and be non-symptomatic.
- Here is an infographic from Gluten Dude showing a long list of symptoms compiled from his many readers
Saturday I met Michelle at Red Rocks so we could run the stairs but when we got there they were having yoga on the rocks. Which sounds delightful but instead it was..nope…you don’t get to come in. So we did a little three mile hike instead. We were slightly winded but mostly because we were hot. No stairs…no real workout.
You know you didn’t get workout in when you are still sporting your hairdresser hair at the beginning AND the end of your workout…
(the following was typed before I left)
So after coming home (pretty exhausted from several days of no sleep) I slept for two hours. I was so tired I was afraid I wouldn’t wake up until tomorrow…no joke it was a dead ass sleep…
I hopped up and ran some errands and then Sean and I went to the incline so I could get some stairs in. My legs were SHAKING. Note to self…work out more often.
Sean spent the day working his ass off riding his bike so he did the incline once and then sat and watched. I did way less than he did for the day so I did it three times. Who knows what I’ll get done this weekend. I need my exercise! Final decision, taking my running stuff.
Now I’m frantically trying to get stuff done before I have to be up in three hours to fly internationally….
The last time I flew internationally it was overseas from Germany. That was a long time ago. I won’t get all sappy on you but I miss Germany.
I hope I remember to take all the important stuff like…you know, my ID and stuff. underwear. toothbrush. YOU KNOW.
- My blog is still acting up. Not only is it painful to write a post but my little blog went from 17 subscribers to 42 overnight…HOLY COW I’M FAMOUS! sigh…Off to investigate why spam has taken over my blog. DAMMIT. Sean has had a sticky note on his computer that says “BLOG” for like…a month. When I see it I hear a deep voice saying “BLOG” like…”MERGE”. I don’t know what you’re talking about..he’s totally not a procrastinator…
- How much do you love Tina Fey and her “sheetcaking”? Yeah… I could watch that over and over. Thank you Tina Fey for voicing what we’re all thinking and silently screaming while we eat cake…a lot of cake. Sorry, I couldn’t get the video to load…:(
- I was filling out a contract for some work we’re having done for the wedding. The contract says,
“Total number of people receiving services, name and roll”
I told my friend I deserved an award for not correcting the contract…She said, “Gluten free, whole grain and country white?”
I was tempted…I really was…hehe
Isn’t that a great story? What a smarty pants.
And the bajillion really hilarious “smart” gifs?
- I had Theboy all week long and he was a giggle to have around. I learned so many things from him.
1. he’s pretty brave. If I get him something like…cookies the first time then the next day when I’m out of the room he’s fixing them himself like..hey. I know how to do this. Babe won’t mind. ??
2. He talks to himself in a quiet whisper constantly while he’s drawing, video gaming, playing. Just a constant little whisper.
3. He was playing with Michelle’s boys and really wanted to race them. He kept false starting…as I watched him playing he just seemed SO full of joy to be running I think he really didn’t care about much else. He just really loved the running part. Rules be damned, let’s run! It was ridiculously innocent and cute and reminded me of Phoebe…
4. He can quietly play for hours just drawing pictures and talking to himself or he can play video games, it’s machts nichts to him. He doesn’t very easily get bored. Only child syndrome?
5. He never forgets. It’s kind of hilarious. All week long he made the same jokes and comments.
- My last day with him is tomorrow (we’re off to Colorado Springs for haircut day so he’ll get to meet Princess Anna!) and then he goes home to his mom and dad. He’s been VERY easy to have. Sean has been ridiculously busy this week so I haven’t had hardly any time to work out and by the time I get to run it’s dark and late so I keep bailing. Sean tells me to go but I feel guilty leaving him with stuff so I stay and then…dark and late. It’s my own fault. I’ll probably not get a chance tomorrow, if we’re going to be honest. But I did some basic squats and planks today and I got a workout walk in with Malachi (he’s seriously pushing it now) and I’m hoping to get a HIIT in tomorrow which I can do in my own house. Saturday, though…that’s my day. (I’m pretty excited..not gonna lie)
Friday night Sean had an event to go to so I figured man…I’m goin’ to the the Incline and I’m gettin’ my climb on.
I headed down there late so the sun was setting but I didn’t care. The park is made up of several small “areas” that go together to make one big park. There’s an amphitheater, multiple playgrounds for multiple age groups, a covered picnic area you can rent out with firepits, a soccer field, the incline and a zip line. It’s pretty huge. When I got there the sun was setting so there were fires going at all the sites and the trees had white Christmas lights on them around the amphitheater for a concert. It was pretty gorgeous.
I joined a few other people and climbed the incline, ran down the trail and did that three times for a total of about three miles give or take. Since it was getting dark the mice and bunnies felt comfortable making themselves known on the trail. I thought it was a giggle since you couldn’t tell what it was darting across your toes but it made some people a little uncomfortable.
Just kidding Michelle…
Saturday Michelle and I went hiking at White Ranch Open Space Park. It was seriously GORGEOUS. Also, they weren’t kidding about the open space part but that’s for later.
Photo credit: Michelle because I am too lazy to take the photos from my phone.
Yes, that’s a thing. My phone is across the room. Michelle’s photos are right here on the computer.
Don’t judge me. Its 1am and I’m really tired. Also, we took the Rawhide trail and every single time I read it I sang “rawhide”. even in my head. Ask Michelle. I did it. It was irritating even to me but I couldn’t stop doing it.
This trail was incredible at the beginning. Truly beautiful, the views, the trail, everything. It was technical but not too technical. It was interesting and not crowded. It had everything. It was like the perfect boyfriend.
And then it got clingy and we dumped him like a bad habit.
We apparently went 4.5 miles all total. So I’d say the first half was good and the second half became out in the open, much wider trail (almost like a small road) and all painfully uphill. Not “hey, this is a cool trail that’s challenging my climbing skills”. No. More like ~apparently you felt the need to experience a death march~ uphill.
Okay, okay. I’m CLEARLY exaggerating. But it was hot and it was uphill and we’d get to the top and turn and there’d be MORE UPHILL and MORE ROAD and MORE NO TREES and I totally lost interest. I’m like…what the hell? If there isn’t anything interesting then I’m just on a long boring walk and I’m hot. Hell, I could do this in Aurora and have ice cream at the end. What’s at the end of this for me?
Not ice cream.
I was very disappointed because the beginning was incredibly promising and I really really loved it. There are a bajillion trails in the area so maybe a different one would offer a more interesting hike but I doubt it. Sean looked it up when we got home and it rated that hike as the most popular in that area. I still kind of want to try again though. On a cooler day maybe I won’t dislike it so much. I don’t usually mind the heat that much but the uphill made me not like it. It was tragically boring. Michelle is totally the only thing keeping it fun. I love her. She entertains me endlessly.
You should see her freak out when she sees a snake.
Yep. It’s a lot like that only with running around. hahaha. I love it.
We saw TWO snakes on this trail and her reaction is priceless. Fortunately both snakes were small and neither was a rattlesnake. But just in case we implemented an early plan for what to do in case she gets bit by a snake. I clearly can’t carry her out so I’ll get to cell service and call for help and then get back to her to keep the snakes away. CALL FOR HELP CALL FOR HELP.
It’s a plan.
Hey. I’m not proud. I’m exactly the same way with spiders.
I came home, showered and went dress shopping.
::sob:: I’m so over dress shopping
Sunday I had a migraine so we skipped the big workout/hike/let’s do something wild and awesome together and instead we….
We did, however, go to lunch with Adam and Shaughnessy and theboy and laughed our asses off because we could. Damn that was a good time. We sat at lunch for like two hours.
730 South. This place is great and I highly recommend. also Celiac safe. I spend way too much time at this place. I should work there. I need the discount.
Then I went….
Dress shopping again.
I think I’ve made progress though. And also I brought several people over to the dark side of the dress situation so now I’m not so alone.
I’ve eliminated some that were possibilities, I’ve found one that might work and I’ve found a few that are definitely on the radar.
I’m feeling better about things. I’m going to work on that and rehearsal dinner stuff this week. I’m sure everyone is thinking…what’s the big deal? but anyone that really knows me must know I can’t rest until I get these things checked off the list so I can stop worrying.
Today I am going to run and HIIT.
It’s also 93* so holy cow… it’s hot. IT’S HOT.
And I’m sure I have errands and such to get done but my brain is no longer working.
What are YOU doing today? Something interesting?
Love to my friend who lost her brother this week…
Hope you guys have a good Monday…
This was just a lovely quiet weekend by myself for the most part. We had lunch with Shaughnessy and Adam on Saturday, we get to see them far more than we get to see Alex and Megan. Different parts of town you know. On Sunday Sean went back to his planned event that took all of his day and I went hiking with Miss Michelle on what had to be the most beautiful hike we’ve ever been on.
The trailhead was Apex but the eventual trail was Enchanted Forest Trail and it was not kidding.
We felt like we were in a Disney movie it was so magical. At any moment little birds would fly out and sing to us as they put ribbons in our hair. It was so beautiful I lost count of how many times I stopped to say that and finally I just stopped so I could proclaim I felt like I was having a spiritual experience from this hike. It counts, so far, as my favorite and that’s saying something…I’ve hiked a lot. Michelle took a million photos and was generous enough to share one with me.
I know, right? She shared one.
This was on the trail in front of us…it’s hardly even real. A perfect heart in stone. The colors on the trail were the truest greens I’ve ever seen. It’s was covered and beautiful and magical.
Whatever just trust me.
So here are my favorite things about Michelle:
- She’s a real person with real issues. I know that I’m getting exactly what’s really happening and not the glossed over version you tell your mean neighbor. She puts it right out there and I can totally relate. I can be totally and completely myself.
- She’s always willing to drive. I don’t mind driving (most people know this) though full disclosure I will totally map it even if I’m going around the block because I’m terrified of being lost. She also knows I’m afraid of spiders and being lost and continues to try to convince me to be afraid of snakes and lightening. Keep working on that, Michelle.
- She gets the Celiac thing and is right on board with great places to eat and names them..which brings me to #4
- She makes decisions like a champ. Girl is a decision maker. ::swoon:: “Let’s meet at such and such on Tuesday at 11”. I love her. I would happily and cheerfully make at least two of those decisions or even HELP with those but she’s totally on it. Trails? She’s like…here are three trails…I’m like..yep. Let’s do that one…how’s 8? she says “see you then!” I love that. Decision maker. That is a girl after my own heart.
- She takes pictures! Now, I do harass her because she sends me ONE but if I asked her she’d send me all ten. And it is now on my list to go to the Verizon store to check out my phone options. ~MT has given me a virtually brand new phone that I can swap to but it’s a little bigger than I want so I’m resisting… I just really really need a good camera phone. This is killing me.~
- She is totally up for any and all adventures and if I ask her she’s all…yeah let’s go! At least once a week I can expect a message in my inbox to say “want to do THIS with me?” and it’ll include a link to a wild and crazy event that neither of us realistically should do but per our mantra...what the hell?
- She loves the outdoors as much as I do and any chance to get outside she’ll do it.
Miraculously, after that I still had energy so I went for a three mile run and that felt amazing in the cool evening air so by the time the evening was done I had put in about 12 miles. It felt really good and I didn’t feel like I had overdone it at all. It was like…21,000 steps or something crazy ass like that.
On that note, the crazy note, Ria from MotivationalMompersonaltraining.com is on a streak of 128 days of step goals (since January 1st she has surpassed the previous days step goal, each day gets higher because that’s how Garmin works) and yesterday she ran a half marathon and then walked across town eventually reaching 51,617 steps in a day. I wonder how many days she can keep this streak up?
Today I’m supposed to do yoga so I’ll probably do that but Sean took the day off so I may go to Castle Rock to do the incline.
Don’t get excited he did it for the game… LOL…he just finished early so it worked out. And right now? He’s at work..he got called in to do something. My life in a nutshell.
Ah, it’s okay. I’m just pickin’ on him.
Michelle and I were supposed to go hiking yesterday afternoon so before I did I made sure to start the morning with the yoga stretches from yesterday’s post to make sure my legs were completely ready to cooperate.
We chose Matthew/Winters Park which is, as you may remember, one of my favorite standbys to hike at. Just enough technical and just enough to distance. Not too busy but enough people I’m not going to get mugged and it’s just so pretty.
Of course, I didn’t take the photo with my phone, Michelle did. Hers is a much better piece of equipment. Dammit. Next time…a selfie. Sorry. I swear we’re out there hiking together. I promise.
We got great mileage in, we worked out little butts off and avoided the rain and narrowly missed death by electrocution via lightening. p.s. Michelle is a tad bit afraid of this.
Lunch was all the salad all the time. And I liked it.
While I was home I got a surprise visit from this guy…
He looks pretty excited there, doesn’t he? He was way more excited. This photo is at least six months old.
He stuck around and visited with me and it was so good to see him! I mean I know he was totally just using me because he stopped to get stuff but hey…as long as he’s there he has to talk to me because it’s in the mom rule book. You HAVE to talk to your mom when you stop at home.
Want to know what he told me? He said that last week when I was sleeping off a migraine in the middle of the week he came home and came upstairs INTO THE BEDROOM and I still slept. Me. The world’s lightest sleeper. And the puppy who barks at the flags that wave on the street and people that may be even THINKING about walking past the house. Nothing. Silence.
I was a little freaked out.
Note to all of you: don’t google “that’s creepy gif”…nothing good will come of it.
People.com just did a spread on They Woke Up Like This: Celebs’ Best Makeup-Free Selfies and seriously these women look so beautiful. Gwyneth Paltrow, though not really my favorite person, looks amazing. And let’s not even talk about Salma Hayek and Carrie Underwood (who I think is everyone’s idol…good Lord that girl is a rockstar ~her legs!~. Wait…I think she’s actually a country star but either way…she kicks ass and she looks amazing doing it). I swear, they are gorgeous.
I have taken to spending at least half my days makeup free except when I absolutely have to because my skin loves it so much….it thanks me for letting it breathe and I can totally see the difference on the days I go without. That and a good workout and I am pretty sure I take five years off.
I’m in prime ~take care of my legs~ mode so I headed to the chiropractor to get an adjustment. That was interesting. And from there I came home and walked the slowest puppy in the world. What the hell?
please note: this looks accurate…with occasional stops in between.
I got 17000 steps in yesterday so that’s a lovely amount. Today I have….::consulting my workout plan:: 3 miles on the plan and some strength because I want to.
I spent the morning with Michelle (no photo…I did not feel good, sorry. Here, look at this one to remember us by. It wasn’t that long ago….)
hiking at Red Rocks (insert amazing picture of Red Rocks here so everyone will be appropriately jealous because they so don’t live here…SO sad)
photo by Michelle because her phone is ridiculously better than mine. Now I’M sad.
We did a hike that was nowhere…this bears repeating…nowhere near as painful and mean as the hike Sean and I did on Easter Sunday. We were able to hold a conversation nearly the entire time with me only stopping a few times to gasp…again…I’m woefully out of shape so please do have mercy before you pick on me too much. And it was hot (nearly 80*!)
name that movie! ::swoon::
I was smart enough to put sunscreen on part of me…the facial part of me (ha!) and my neck…but I stopped there apparently and didn’t think to do the rest. Why? Ladies and gentlemen, we are sponsored by ADHD week! I’m relatively certain I was working on it and then…
So my upper back looks pretty damn red.
Let’s be real here…my skin is far more freckle (thanks Daddy!) than lily white but it is in there somewhere. Now it’s pretty in pink.
Meanwhile…Miss Michelle said she read my blog and saw the photo and said, what the hell is Ingress. She googled it and it didn’t tell her anything! I thought that was odd. I’ve googled it before and it told me exactly what it was but whatever. I’ll update the blog because I do talk about it. So here you go for everyone that has forgotten how Google works. 😉
Ingress is a location-based, augmented-reality mobile game developed by Niantic, a company spun off from Google.The game was first released for Android devices on November 15, 2012, and later for iOS on July 14, 2014. The game has a science fiction back story with a continuous open narrative. Ingress is also considered to be a location-based exergame.
Unlike many other MMOGs, the competition in Ingress is primarily between the two opposing factions rather than between individual players, and players never interact directly in the game or suffer any kind of damage other than temporarily running out of “XM”, the power that fuels all actions except movement and communication. The gameplay consists of capturing “portals” at places of cultural significance, such as public art, landmarks, monuments, etc., and linking them to create virtual triangular “control fields” over geographical areas. ~source
I totally understand this is confusing but suffice it to say, it’s a computer game, Sean travels on his bike a lot, on foot and in the car and he loves it. Shaughnessy and Adam play it, too. They all find it really interesting and engaging. I think anything that keeps them that interested obviously has some value and the fact that it includes learning with interacting and also exercise well, it all kind of combines to make the best scenario for me. I don’t mind if he plays it.
Here’s a randomly dumb story.
And just for the men that read the blog, it’s about underwear. Sorry about that. There’s a particular style I like and I can find it in two brands at two stores. No big deal. I’m very simple. It’s the OCD in me. I stopped at the store the other day to pick some up and they have changed the sizing. If you know me, you know I don’t care about sizing, I wear whatever fits me. I have size 11 in my closet and size 4 (well probably not a 4 anymore…ha! yeah…it’s been a long year). But now the new sizes are as follows:
And that is as big as they go. Anyone else think that’s random? Also, the cut is way different, so I usually wear a size M and there was NO way they were fitting me anymore.
I just looked at them, shook my head and walked away. What genius thought they should resize underwear and make it SMALLER??
Because women don’t already need therapy for body issues. Honestly.
I have to take my car in and get some minor work done. See, I’m hoping to not jinx that by saying it’s minor…I should just say “work done”. Hm. I’m finishing up here at home quick, then to the store, then back home quick and then I toyed with dropping the car and walking home.
Now to be clear….it’s six miles. That’s quite a walk. But in the grand scheme it’s not that bad and I can always take the bus. Oh! I should totally take the bus. Hm. I’ll think about it. I mean…city buses are an experience..personal space being invaded, possibly mugged, minor sexual assaults..hey now.
Just kidding Mom. Just the personal space thing.
So Sean has turned into me. He’s headed out the door this morning and I reassure him that I’ll take care of it. He hesitates and then kisses me goodbye. At the door he says goodbye again and then stops and turns and says…
“how are you going to take care of it?”
Ha. I said, “I just am. Go to work”.
- I found a site that lets me post little 💕 and teaches me shortcuts. I’m keyboard illiterate so it’s right up my alley. Prepare for emoji craziness.
- Cheesecake. Because why not. Yumbana Shoppe based here in Colorado is full of amazing deliciousness. Their cheesecakes are melt-in-your-mouth. I do not recommend their carrot cake as it taste rather like crumbly dirt…
but we don’t have to talk about that.
- Choosing new wallpaper and ringtones for my cellphone. #itsthelittlethings
- I just finished The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas on Audible. It’s a YA book but the age and content are totally relevant and I was glued to my Nano until I finished it. It was really good and yes, I still own an iPod Nano and I still use it exclusively for my music and my podcasts. Don’t judge me.
- Finishing up my scrapping projects. So close. I mean, not the whole thing but this one set. Hey now… 🙂
- I bought an actual real live plant that I’m in charge of keeping alive. I KNOW> Pretty crazy. Anyone that actually knows me knows that is a big deal because I do not have success with real live things. Except children. I managed to not screw that up. Thanks be to God.
- Ted Talks. Anyone else watch Ted Talks and get sucked in to the next one and the next one and the next one? It’s the only thing I will do that with on the computer. It’s so wrong and yet it’s so good.
- Little pink bowl…how cute is this? Shaughnessy found it at a second hand store and she clearly knows me.
- Aura Cacia Nurturing Sweet Almond Skin Care Oil. Which is a mouthful for sure but it’s lovely stuff. My skin is so dry I am always reaching for some kind of moisturizer for my skin (welcome to Colorado and the land of no moisture) but oil is always a plus and almond oil is a bonus. Delicious. It’s so very light you don’t have an oily feeling, the scent is barely there. and it just feels amazing. Highly recommend.
- Challenging myself on those crazy hiking trails. That was just the best part of my week. It might also have been the worst part but we won’t talk about that.
- These cute picture frames from Shaped Expressions. I bought them for my kids bedroom doors, it’s a project I’m working on but I really love their options and that they’re small business on Etsy. Side note to small businesses, I didn’t love that they had really cute items but I didn’t find them anywhere on Etsy which means they had to be buried deep and I never saw their website listed which means it also was not featured very prominently. Work harder, People. Show your work.
- Fairmount Cemetery in Denver. This is an old cemetery with beautiful grounds and when we drive past it we are reminded of how tempting it is to want to run or bike through it but there remains the age old questions…how respectful (or disrespectful) IS that? Well I popped onto the website and they say right on there please…enjoy our grounds. Also, take one of our tours! They have tours and they are awesome. Also, you can take them at twilight. How great is that? You can make up your own kind of tour and ask them to create that. I love it. What a great experience. I’m totally going to check it out.
- I’m off to see Michelle this morning so that has to be on the Sweet List. I’m assuming it’s going to be injury free. We’re maybe climbin’ those stairs. Wish us luck.
Donald Trump donated his first paycheck ($78,000) to the National Park Service in a veiled attempt to convince us he’s cares. We of course aren’t fooled and instead are insulted. Like that even makes a dent in the amount of the budget he’s cutting from the national parks. This is a big fat giant in your face publicity stunt and we aren’t that stupid. Seriously.
We see you. We always see you.
My leg hurts. I don’t want to talk about it.
I wrote that last night and yes, my leg hurts BUT…I think it’s finally HEALING!
For the last two days my leg has definitely not looked good. We thought…yep. It’s infected. We need to go in and have it looked at. But finally today it’s no longer looking that sickly color of green!
I don’t look good in that color. It’s not pretty at all.
Sean actually said, “if it were me I’d go in and dig that……”
Lalallalalallalallalalla I can’t HEAR YOU…….
No. No I will not be doing that. I will SHOWER and let the spray gently clean the leg and that is the sum total of what I’ll be doing and now I need THERAPY for what he just SAID to me!!! What kind of person would do that?????
It’s snowing today and the high is 36*…
I could still go for a walk but no…I won’t push it. I’ll be obedient (like that’ll happen) and I’ll stay inside and give it another day and let my leg heal but by God tomorrow I am freaking moving.
I went to look for a news story on the Today show and since I don’t really watch the news much anymore (I read most of it now) I found myself in the black hole of videos. I could watch news stories all freaking day. I’m lost in news stories. If you don’t hear from me for a few days…you know where to find me.
I just read that Bob Harper had a dramatic cardiac arrest and heart attack back in February. Where have I been? That is unbelievable. Obviously genetics plays a role but when someone that fit and healthy (presumably healthy?) like that has such a life threatening experience, you end up asking yourself a few ~what the hell am I doing~ questions.
I think I’m having lunch with Michelle today so I’ll say “hey” for Ya’ll and we’ll let you know if we make any progress on if we’re running, should we run, maybe we’ll run, hey no way we ain’t running…you know. That kind of talk.
We are definitely having french fries though because…fries.
First the shout out. MT is still in Virginia but he’s sick with a terrible cough and an overall ~I think I’m dying~ whatever it is. When you’re sick don’t you just want to stay in bed with the television and have someone bring you medicine and food and take care of you and you just have to … be sick? Hope you’re feeling better. We love and miss your face.
Michelle wants to train for an ultra marathon and she knows I’ve always wanted to do one so we’re toying/talking about doing one and we’ve gone so far as to pick the one we want to do, chosen a training plan, talked about the start date, looked at our weekends, discussed the problem with the weekends we can’t run together and talked about some great climbing hikes that would be good for training.
But I’m a born skeptic and also I’ve had so many setbacks in the last two years since running NYCM (and feeling pretty great while I did that) that I’m pretty scared to get interested or plan towards it. I’m not ready to lose another goal. I lost Chicago twice. TWICE.
So now that I’ve thrown that out there, this is what’s on my mind. If I actually am ready to attempt to run again…attempt to put mileage on the road…grow and strengthen my body…I have so many other things I want to do at the same time and I am a sprinter.
Not in running but in goals…I want it all.
MT is in Virginia. What a perfect time to run the Marine Corps Marathon.
It’s October 22nd. I’m a little busy in October. My kid is getting married. My friend wants me to run a half marathon then…
And the ultramarathon is in September…one month earlier exactly.
And then my friend posted today that she’d LOVE to run Chicago!!!
One.step.at a time.
Make your choice. What can I do? Can I run a 5k? Can I run a 10k? Can I run a half marathon?
I need to take baby steps. Choose one thing and decide on one thing and not be discouraged if it doesn’t go well. It’s a big step to even try an ultra from nothing for the last two years. I’ve missed so much.
And all of this has to come after my leg is better. My stitches come out tomorrow and the bruising and swelling is finally getting better so I can start walking and maybe by the weekend or Monday I can start a slow run. That’s “to be determined” since there was way more of a sprain than originally thought.
Right now, as we speak, Michelle is telling me about how she’s running four times a week and upping her weekend long run to be 8 to 10 miles so her base is nice and strong. NICE AND STRONG.
Betrayal. Total and complete betrayal since I can’t run ten feet. I’m going to be dragging behind. It’s a good thing I love her madly and really want to do this with her.
Ya’ll know where to find the body…on the trails.
I need this kind of confidence. Let’s start now.