- I went with my mom to San Francisco years ago when I was a young teenager. We got Honey Buns at the grocery store on the corner and thought we’d died and gone to heaven. I could have eaten the whole box. I can’t see a Honey Bun in the store now without thinking of that time with my mom, hangin’ in San Francisco at my grandparents house just eatin’ Honey Buns. #memories #mommemories
- I’m going to skip right over where I’ve been this busy weekend and say I’ve slowed down from going 159 mph to going probably 90 or so which to me is better. The weather gave me a killer migraine Saturday but on the bright side…THE WEATHER! I think it was building for a few days. It happens and I recovered.
it’s just around the corner, Baby, I can feel it.
It was 50* this morning. So beautiful.
- The Cincinnati Enquirer did an amazing spread on the current epidemic of heroin use that has taken over the country. It’s called Seven days of Heroin. I highly recommend this impressive piece of reporting. Calling it “in depth” would be an understatement.
The Enquirer sent more than 60 reporters, photographers and videographers into their communities to chronicle an ordinary week in this extraordinary time~source
- Honey Bunchies Gourmet Honey Bar are my newest delicious snack find. Has anyone ever had a Salted Nut Roll? I don’t know what they did but these Honey Bunchies seriously taste just like a Salted Nut Roll. They are so amazing I could eat ten of them. Okay, I’ll be honest, I really couldn’t. Truth be told I ate the whole thing but I should have parceled it out and eaten just half at a time. They have 8 all natural ingredients, 230 calories a bar, gluten free, soy free, grain free and It’s like a giant caramel roll. Serious delicious. I loved it immediately. I paid $1.99 at Safeway.
- Who is the Enemy Here?
A beautiful and haunting article of photographs Time magazine has gathered from various photographers who covered the Vietnam war and the photographs that moved them most. They are really quite moving. My best suggestion is to actually read about the photograph and not just skim the pictures. The photos are obviously stand alone worthy but the personal stories attached bring a light to them we haven’t seen before.
- “mini cupcakes? As in the mini version of regular cupcakes? Which is already a mini version of CAKE? Honestly, where does it end with you people??” ~Kevin from The Office making a really really great point. We feel your pain, Kevin.
- The Vietnam War– A film by Ken Burns and Lynn Novick on PBS
You just have to watch it. You should be able to stream it online.
- These 2 London museums viciously battled for supremacy on Twitter.
Twitter user asks a question…who reigns supreme? And the battle begins. It’s pretty great.
- I did HIIT over the weekend and as much as I love it my legs surely do feel it. The day feels so good (high of 82* so I’ll take it) but I’m going to go down to the incline this evening I think so I can climb and run at the same time. I’m definitely feeling a little off from several weeks of being too busy to incline.
I did walk the dog, though, and he’s pretty happy now and sleepin’ away. Must be rough.
- We lost our internet for a ridiculous amount of time so I’m hotspotting it now so I can finish this. Then I’m going to run my errands and make progress on life and if it’s not back by tonight we’ll have to burn the house down. Or go to a motel or something. Yes, I could read a book but Netflix.
Who knew I could make progress on life so easily?
I’m thisclose People. Thisclose.
- There’s a lot of information in this post. It was a reading/watching weekend while I worked. Good stuff though.
Keep working hard…
- Thursday I finished my crazy errands and then I told myself…I must nap. I set my phone for an hour and totally crashed. I slept until I wasn’t nauseous anymore. That ended up being an hour and a half.
By the time I woke up I had to be a grown up and figure out dinner.
If I were rich I’d so have a chef. That would be my splurge.
- I have a friend in Florida and a friend in St Thomas. It took awhile to hear from her but we finally did get the okay from my friend in St Thomas. The island was hit so hard the news was reporting concern for life was their highest priority. I’m over this whole hurricane thing. Climate change. Could we wrap our head around that please? She reported the hurricane was “terrifying”. She lost her entire roof. When they came out after (she has two kids…a teenager and a six year old) the power lines were in the street, the trees were down and there were refrigerators in the street. It was crazy. We’re really grateful she’s okay but there’s another one thinking about a follow up so we’re watching close.
- I have an acquaintance who decided to have a conversation on her page asking for education about Dreamers. She’s incredibly conservative. Her and her friends were quite judgmental and seemed to have one thing on their mind throughout the conversation. They seemed more upset about the legality of everything than whether or not these people were put in a situation they have no control over and are just trying to stay in the only life they’ve ever known. One of her friends seemed offended at the term “dreamers” like who are they to dream? We all have dreams for our kids…and so on… My reasonable darling friend popped on to say…no. dream. It’s an acronym. I don’t think they read. I think they just hear Fox news and get mad. #dreamers #DACA #bekind
- When you have a good hair day and you don’t want to run… #goodhairday
- Yesterday I went to Shrine of Cabrini with my friend and climbed the stairs~twice~in the terrible awful very bad smokey air. It was bad. I have good strong lungs, I can’t imagine how people are breathing in this with damaged lungs or asthma. My head started to really hurt by this evening and I totally blame the smoke. It’s feeling better but I credit the really expensive drugs. #allthestairs #prayerandexercise
We went to Morrison for Mexican food where she spent the lunch hour harassing me and laughing at me because I have a ridiculous amount of energy and she said she was laughing at my facial expressions. I don’t know what that meant but I’m going with good because that’s all I’ve got. Lunch was awesome except our server forgot we existed~twice~. TWICE. I’m usually fairly memorable so…that was bad. I ate my weight in chips and salsa. The whole meal. Just kept eating. It’s okay. You can judge me. I totally don’t mind. #dontjudgeme #Ineedmorechips
- Thursday’s workout:
I walked the dog for 2.5 miles
I did my yoga
climbed Shrine of Cabrini twice
- I am meeting another friend today and after that Sean and I are going to try and spend an hour or two together. He has some studying to do. I have work to do. I think we’re just looking for some down time. So much stress, he’s pretty worn out. Also…my yard needs to be mowed SO MUCH. That’s getting done for sure.
Whether you know anyone in Texas or not, it’s difficult to not be moved by the tragic events taking place there with Hurricane Harvey tearing the state to bits and flooding everything it hits.
If you want to help:
The American Red Cross, which has shelters open and is getting supplies to victims, is accepting donations on its website via a dedicated link. Donors also can call 1-800-RED-CROSS or text “Harvey” to 90999 to make contributions. Alternatively, some companies are collecting donations for the Red Cross relief effort on their websites. Among them are Amazon and Whole Foods, which will match cash donations (up to $1 million total).
I want to speak about the egregious display of racism the president made when he pardoned Joe Arpaio but I seem to be at a loss for words. Every day is a new gross example of his failing as a leader to anyone except racists.
The result is that I feel like this all the time. Just…all the time.
- Food is a common trigger of migraines. Some are well known, red wine, chocolate, etc. Tyramine and tannins are probably the reason for this. Hard or aged cheese, soy, MSG and artificial sweeteners and randomly…citrus. These don’t all cause triggers for everyone but you should track your own diet with a journal to see what causes yours.
- caffeine. This one is tricky. If it’s the right dose and it’s the beginning of a migraine you might just stop it in its tracks. But there’s always the chance you can send it the other way. I avoid caffeine pretty heartily however I do have it in some of my medication. And when I need carbonation I’ll crave a Diet Pepsi and finding the caffeine free one is next to impossible. Since I don’t crave a lot of it, I’ll just have one or two small drinks of it and then drink water. I’m only in it for the carbonation.
- I’m going to break it down a little and say tannins are in red wine and also apple juice. I always wondered why I’d get a migraine from apple juice. I love Red Delicious apples but I rarely eat them…they give me headaches. (duh)
- There’s a genetic link to migraines, if you have family that has them you are more likely to get them. So far both of my boys are prone to them. I’m hoping Shaughnessy avoids it completely. (pfft..the only thing Sean has passed on is his amazing ability at math…I’m feeling pretty non helpful right now)
- Stress is one of the most common triggers. Work, family, emotions, relationships, any or all of that can create the stress to give you a migraine.
- Triggers we don’t think about: lack of sleep, dehydration.
- Weather can hit you with a migraine when you aren’t expecting it. The barometric pressure changes, extreme heat, extreme cold…all of it can affect you. Accuweather has a great feature that will tell you if it’s a migraine kind of day.
- Overuse of pain medication. You obviously want to take it as soon as you feel your migraine coming on but if you continue taking it you can create a rebound migraine that will cause daily migraines you will find very difficult to manage. I usually walk around for a few minutes, drink some water, do some yoga and if that still doesn’t help then I medicate. Medicating is my last resort. Rebound migraines are the worst.
- There are criteria that makes migraines. You don’t have to have all of these but these are the main symptoms.
moderate to severe pain
one sided in the head
pulsing/throbbing headache made worse by movement
nausea or vomiting
sensitivity to light and sound ~source
- Some migraines come with a fun side effect called an aura. Many people have a warning system with their migraines alerting them it’s coming. These are common aura situations.
Confusing thoughts or experiences.
The perception of strange, sparkling or flashing lights.
Zig-zag lines in the visual field.
Blind spots or blank patches in the vision.
Pins and needles in an arm or leg.
Stiffness in the shoulders, neck, or limbs.
I get flashing lights like laser lights when I get a bad migraine but not at the beginning, more like I’m well into it. When I’m getting a migraine my skin hurts…just to barely touch it…like the worst kind of bruise…just skimming it. Especially right around my jaw, my neck, my face, all along around my head.
*As always…consult your doctor about any pain you may be experiencing. They can help you with your diagnosis and assist you with a treatment plan.
- Starting my day with hot water with a lemon slice is my favorite thing to do. It makes me feel amazing and I swear I feel so much better when I do this.
11 benefits of lemon water you didn’t know about
- Are you a road rager? I am not. However…these are three things that bug me about driving. First you should know…I’m a really patient driver. So it’s not like I thought…I’ve got a LIST of things that bug me about driving (RAGE)…no. That’s totally not true. I just kind of encountered two of them on the same day and thought…yeah. these three things would probably be irritating.
1. When you’re driving and someone drives just UNDER the speed limit. What is that about? Why? You’re allowed the speed limit and truth be told even a few more. Go the few more! Be wild! If it’s 40…do 42! Maybe 43! Do not drive 35 or 36 in a 40, it just makes us all nuts.
2. When someone waves you to go first but they’re annoyed with you. ?? What? Why? thanks? I kind of don’t WANT your favor now. How exactly did I annoy you by just SITTING here waiting for you to go first when it was your right of way and then you get irritated because you let me go first. I got nothin’. That really bothers me and the irritation totally negates the kind gesture. Sorry People!
3. When you’re in the far left straight lane (now try and follow me here…) and there’s a turn lane next to you with an island next to them. The person in FRONT of you for some reason leaves like…two car spaces open without pulling forward (to what…save it for a friend?) and because they don’t pull forward, YOU can’t pull forward so all the people that need to pull into the turn lane can’t get into it. So the turn lane light turns green and then red and they all watch it and miss it…all because weird guy won’t freakin’ pull forward. You honk…you pull really close to him and stalk his bumper but nothing. Seriously Dude. What the hell?
Do any of these things make me yell at people? No but I will occasionally talk to them and say, “why? why do you do this? I don’t understand you.” So far, no one has answered.
- Taylor Swift! Taylor Swift gets a giant ~hell yes~ from all of us for how she handled this whole situation with the groping DJ. She had absolute grace from the beginning to the end and what a great outcome that the jury came back in her favor. Although I don’t see how they could have done anything different. The evidence was so terribly against him, the pervert.
- So I’m leaving the country next week for approximately… 47 hours (how crazy is that?) to do some family history investigating with my mom. I did a little ~do I take my running gear or don’t I~ with myself today. I ALWAYS take my running stuff. I never ever EVER don’t take it. And the chance to run in another country is pretty awesome. I love running in new places and a new country would be so cool. We lived in Germany for six years so I’m not new to the international scene but I’ve always liked the idea of adding places to the list. If I thought I could get a run in that morning before I left I’d leave it at home but not being able to is a true let down. So both days with nothing…I’m leaning towards taking the running stuff. Just so you know, as I wrote this paragraph I changed my mind twice.
- It poured rain with wild wind so I did not get to run. Even Sean was bummed for me. Every day…hope for tomorrow. I always say a little rain is good, pouring rain is just inconvenient. It’s a nice way to end the day though. Theboy and I hung out at home except for a few small things. We’ll talk about what we did tomorrow.
I DID IT! Yeah BABY…I got the job DONE.
I know Ya’ll are thinking…did she win the lottery? Did something AMAZING happen? Did Oprah give her a new CAR???
After seven hours on the phone, one really rude customer service specialist, at least five days of dealing with this directly on the phone and countless days off the phone but on the computer (seriously I have no idea how many days on the computer I tried fixing this) I have fixed the insurance issue AT LAST. And I think for REAL this time.
For those of you that need a super brief recap:
They charged me a large amount of money ($950) right before my surgery in anticipation of what my deductible would be back in February. But I had like…$85 left from a doctor bill a week before so they mixed two charges (the death sentence of insurance issues). We figured out the $85 no problem. But the rest was refunded by the hospital to my HRA in April, they just didn’t see it because it wasn’t $950 and they are a machine. So they have been harassing me for a receipt RIGHT NOW or they are denying my claim and demanding I pay back the money. Um..Dude. YOU have the money. They gave it back to you in April. Look at the page. It’s right there! I kept saying that to people and they would send me to someone else for another piece of paper.
Today I got Abigail. I love Abigail. Abigail said, “I see it. I’m going to screen shot it and send it to the claims dept it. If they still don’t get it, they’ll call me and I”ll call you directly but it should be fine from here. I think you’re good. Have a great day!”
I wanted to send Abigail flowers.
MT’s friend came over to visit yesterday. He hung out and chatted with me and ate pie. That took a big chunk of my afternoon. Between that and sleeping a ridiculous part of my day I didn’t get a lot done.
I did a little bit of yoga to see if I could loosen up whatever is screwing with my head and I did some squats and planks and called it good so I wouldn’t push my luck. It did just dawn on me that the wind was pretty wicked today and since I’m pretty sure that’s what caused this migraine to begin with I’m not too surprised I still had issues today. It’s too bad, too, because it’s such a pretty day for a run but my body said no no no.
So I opted for this:
It felt really good to get the squats and yoga stretches done though. I won’t deny that but that’s about as much as I wanted to do.
so…there’s a lot of posters today. I was on a roll.
Hopefully today I’ll be able to get it done. The weather today is back to 90*. So mean. On the bright side the whole rest of the week starting Sunday is 70’s and rainy!
….aaand it just dawned on me I’ll be out of town. Dammit.
I was feeling mildly better by last night and thought I might be able to run but I ended up messaging with several people right through my running time. Probably for the best to rest one more day considering I was just down most of the day. I made a rhubarb/strawberry pie and had a small piece of it with some vanilla ice cream. I couldn’t finish it and five minutes later I was losing it. One more rest day is definitely in order.
When you’re shopping online for shoes (endlessly wedding shopping) and you come across the CUTEST pair of shoes and you think DAMN those are so…oh. I own those already.
Believe it or not…I don’t own that many shoes so clearly …
My husband is a giver. He donates of his time and attention and as is true of most introverts (a most tired and overused word I’m afraid but it must be used. My apologies) he is quiet about it. This means the people on the receiving end are quiet about receiving said gifts and Sean usually ends up unappreciated. I know and understand this phenomena so well as I always put far too much time into work and they would have to make me leave because I was on the clock way too long. But I would get sucked into a project and I really liked my work so I didn’t want to leave. Or I was doing something for someone that I could finish if I just had a few more minutes.
Notice people around you. The people that give the extra, the really hard workers, the people that are taking on the jobs nobody wants…are you recognizing them for their dedication and time?
I went to the store the other day and when I passed the produce section I saw rhubarb ~ immediately invoking childhood moments of grabbing the wild rhubarb that grew in our alleyway and bringing it indoors to wash it and dip it in sugar. Wild child I was. We didn’t live in the country, we lived on the Southside… the bad side of town… so I was a city girl but I could find country anywhere. I immediately had to have it. I made a strawberry rhubarb pie. I’ve never made one before, I’ve never even tasted one before but knew I could do it. Grabbed the strawberries and the gluten free crust and headed home.
I didn’t get the chance until last night and it was ridiculously easy. Pinterest didn’t fail me…I found this recipe quickly.
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie from Sally’s Baking Addiction.
I had to change the crust because my store bought crust didn’t want to be a top crust very cheerfully so I made a crumble topping out of this:
strawberry/rhubarb crumb pie recipe
from Taste of Home
Shutthefrontdoor it was so good. My husband LOVES apple pie. When I couldn’t get the top crust to cooperate he said…”no problem. It’ll be good for an apple pie later”. He’s already planning my next pie, that’s how unimpressed he was at the thought of this one. No really.
But tonight he tasted the pie and said it was so good it could win awards. Wow. That’s like…the nicest thing he’s ever said about my cooking. I mean, I’m not a terrible cook but still, that’s impressive. I asked if it was almost as good as apple and he said it was maybe better.
Well there you go, Folks. The world actually stopped turning.
It’s a cool day today and feels gorgeous outside. For those keeping track, I do still have the migraine. I don’t know why but I’m up and dealing with it. Yesterday was the anomaly day where I spent a few hours sleeping and moping around the house but today I have a million things to do.
I have enough to do that I got this post out incredibly late.
I’m going to run as soon as I get the chance…which will be early evening hopefully. IT’s just too pretty although…windy. And we all know that’s not friendly.
But it’s interesting that just a few days of not being active has made me feel sludgy. #itsaword
I’ve had this low lying migraine for the better part of a week. It’s more than just “a headache” and it’s more than just the average migraine (is there such a thing?) that so obviously debilitates but the pain is centralized and it’s understood what’s happening and what needs to be done. Instead the pain has spread out and I seem to have an overwhelming feeling of ache but it’s underlying so I don’t get up thinking I’m dying I just sort of carry through the day feeling unwell. Every half hour or so I remember that I feel unwell. I do somehow know that it’s related to my migraine though. Like the nerve endings are all connected to my migraine so all aches go there.
It just leaves me feeling very exhausted. I haven’t done much but straighten the house and run necessary errands and then sleep.
I’m hoping it’s over soon. Every once in a while I get an anomaly migraine like this and besides wondering how?? I also have to wonder how to get rid of it. In great fear of rebound migraines I stop medicating after just a day or two of meds and try powering through. Sometimes it’s successful and sometimes I go to a higher power. My neurologist.
Things I want to talk about but I don’t have the energy but you should read because they’re so interesting…
They trashed their wedding photographer over a $125 fee, so a jury told them to pay her $1 million
So this lifestyle blogger doesn’t thoroughly read her contract about a small $125 fee and gets angry about paying it. Refuses to pay it. And then publicly defames the photographer on her blog and Instagram and then takes it to the news. They don’t do their due diligence and the world goes crazy after this photographer who then loses everything. In desperation and righteousness she sues and wins. Its cases like this we get to be thankful. Thankful that sometimes the little guy wins and the horrible person who caused the hurricane in the first place gets what’s coming to her. It so never happens that way but it is so great when it does.
Hey. Turns out I did have the energy after all.
I think I like these lessons on living with a Navy Seal…I live by a lot of them what the hell…why am I not a Navy Seal? Sure there’s that whole…kill a man with my bare hands thing but whatever.
I’m pretty sure my husband will never be seen again if he ever gets to this spot. Otherwise known as “heaven”.
There is truly nothing about this I don’t love.
this is my whole life.
Okay, I should probably go. I have a million things to do and I’m not doing them. Sleep is on my mind though.
I know I’ve used it before but it’s good. I’m using it again.
Friday I volunteered for a race that was taking place on Saturday. I didn’t run it, I just did some volunteer work.
It was the most unorganized situation and 90* so it was utter and total chaos in the hot sun. I have only volunteered a few times for racing events, as much as I love volunteering the racing events always seem to be unorganized. I’m not sure if it’s a world of people with order issues or if it’s the world of racing. The organizer in me wants the answer to this question.
Sandra Bullock reacts to criticism in an inspiring way
Posted by Goalcast on Wednesday, July 26, 2017
Saturday I had such a migraine I don’t even remember what I did. I just stayed drugged. I’d started it on Thursday and nursed it through Friday. By Saturday I wasn’t really able to focus on anything and was pretty sick. I crashed early so I could be up at 4:30 to head to Red Rocks for massive quantities of stair climbing with Michelle. I wanted to be there by 6 and I got there at 5:45. Then I drove around for 45 minutes trying to find her. It was a damn good time.
She got there first so she got the winning shot…
Nothing beats sunrise at Red Rocks.
I did finally find her and we started our prep for the 9/11 Memorial Climb.
The 2017 Colorado 9/11 Memorial Stair Climb is a way to honor and remember the FDNY firefighters who selflessly gave their lives so that others might live on 9-11-2001. Each participant pays tribute to an FDNY firefighter by climbing the equivalent of the 110 stories of the World Trade Center.
We learned it’s 11 times around so we did 8 times around to start and see how we healed. Afterwards we both felt like we could have done more. I was feeling pretty hungover from migraine drugs so I struggled but I wasn’t sore at all yesterday and I’m not sore at all today so I think we’ll be fine.
Meanwhile it was a BLISSFUL 57* this morning when I woke up at 4:30 (not sleeping great) and it stayed 57* for a while. I didn’t run because I was really really REALLY tired and I feel like I need to just chill out for a few hours and maybe even…
take a nap.
A much much needed nap.
Before I tackle my incredibly full list.
I’m so tired.
But I felt pretty grateful for my fake fall morning… #fakefall all the way. hmm. #alternativefall?
just look at these boots and laugh accordingly. Or shake your head shamefully…
(how do you like that name?)
In fun political news…
Scaramucci is out after TEN DAYS!! I’m gonna miss that guy. He was like the Jersey Shore took over the White House. It was entertaining as hell. To everyone but his wife I guess. I really feel bad for her.
Tomi Lahren admitted to still being on her parents health insurance at 24 even though she’s totally against Obamacare Being able to stay on your parents health insurance until you are 26 is a GREAT benefit of Obamacare and two of my kids have totally taken advantage of it and the third will be following right behind. One would think she would be highly vocal about it’s benefits as she is being so critical of it. Apparently not. Tomi, Darling, this is why people tear you down. Well, this and your incredibly horrible belief system. We don’t get it. Keep working on it.
I feel pretty damn strong right now and that’s pretty sad because I have a long way to go but that just shows you how far gone I was. hahahhahaa.
Keep moving forward, right people? Keep moving forward.
Running tonight. Strength today. Pushups, lifting. Planks planks planks.
This is the five year anniversary of the Aurora Shooting. We don’t generally make a fuss over anniversaries but this was very close to home figuratively and literally. Love to all the families and first responders. ❤
- We had dinner with Amy, Wayde and their son Kevin last night and seriously they are the cutest family ever. My very first impression was that Amy has really REALLY great legs. Where can I get some of those? I know, you’re thinking…weird much? Well they parked in a parking lot on a higher level than we did and I’m naturally shorter anyway so my eye level was sort of her legs as she walked toward me and then came down to my level parking lot.
So really not THAT weird. Still kind of weird but whatever. I can appreciate hot. Kevin is the GREATEST kid, seriously smart, incredibly polite and a sense of humor and joy he just clearly carries with him. They are a beautiful family and I appreciated every moment with them. We stayed for like…two hours at dinner and it was so much fun. We shared stories of our insane life and their life in Kansas is the polar opposite of ours. Wayde told us all about the no traffic light town they live in but the train that comes through takes 45 minutes and cuts the town completely in half hitting every street so if you miss it and get stopped by the train…you’re screwed. I totally want to live there just so I can call Sean and say, “I’m on the wrong side of the tracks”. Best moment ever. He said he has it timed quite well and knows when it’s coming through so an occasional 85mph moment will happen to get him across so he can get to work on time.
I scoff at him and his occasional 85mph moments. Sean does 85 as a regular speed and sometimes he’s not even on the road. I have to remind him..this is the shoulder SEAN THIS IS THE SHOULDER.
Not stressful at all to drive with him. His confidence will be the death of me. Also, his skill. The man has skills.
- I have been on the phone now for twenty minutes while someone tries to find my medical records from my surgery in February. My health reimbursement people denied $1000 claim and I have to figure out why, how and get a receipt for it but really there was so much I live in confusion land. Sean will confirm that for you. Meanwhile, the fact that they can’t find me is shocking, my surgery was like…$85,000. You’d think that would put me up in a higher status and I’d get some attention. How long is too long to be on hold before you snap? Well, that was it, 25 minutes. After that the person came on and announced she has no record of me in the hospital whatsoever and maybe if I call the main hospital and ask for pre registration. I’m in menu hell. Tried it…got lost in the circle of hell again. It’s SO WRONG> I waited and moved on. I’ve got to figure this out.
- I get a monthly scrip of migraine medication that helps with those migraines that squeak through after the Botox. They aren’t incredibly common but they are common enough that I need medication for them. My doctor gave me a “coupon” for them which made the ~incredibly-expensive-out-of-the-realm-of-reasonable a very reasonable $20. It’s been incredibly helpful. Today they called me to ask if I needed a refill. I’ve turned down the refill before because I didn’t need it and in hindsight should not have. Today I said I’d take it and she said the coupon was expired. There’s another coupon that takes care of 60% of the scrip leaving a co-pay of $492. Would I like that on my visa? Some days I just don’t have it in me. Just.no. In case you’re wondering…I skipped the refill. I have an appt in a few weeks. I’ll ask for another coupon.
$492. Pfft. I’ll just suffer through it. I’m from MT. That’s a half a car.
- I’ve been craving roasted marshmallows since we went camping. I know you’re thinking “but you had roasted marshmallows when you went camping”. Well, yes I did. But I tend to have long term cravings that last a ridiculously extended amount of time. If I want a cheeseburger I want one every day for a week. So I’ve been wanting more roasted marshmallows and today I wanted something sweet. Yes, I roasted my marshmallows over a candle today. I KNOW> It was TOTALLY delicious. You can take three things away from this.
1. this is clearly not a healthy eating blog… hahha. I will tell you I’ve been eating super healthy for the last week and feeling pretty good but still one needs to have treats.
2. My mother always told me to work with what you’ve got.
3. It totally crossed my mind that if I dropped the marshmallow, set the kitchen on fire and burned the house down I would absolutely make the national news as the woman who burned her house down roasting marshmallows over a candle in her kitchen. I’m okay with that because I’m a good time.
I got a HIIT workout done yesterday and it was a good strong workout that felt great. My body thanked me for doing something other than hiking or running. It’s just so blessed hot here at like…96* and none of us want to exercise at all. My gym on the base doesn’t air condition or if it does it’s the bare minimum to keep us from passing out. I should really join 24 hour fitness.
It was hot. I just did the HIIT workout. I did the following…
today I would love to run but it’ll have to be later. It was hot at 6am. It was 72* at 6:20 in the morning and that is my very short window to walk the dog. So I have a short window to run tonight. I do not love the heat. You probably already figured that out. How do people run in this?
First of all let me say we as ~fighters for all things positive and peaceful and beautiful and right in the government~ do not in any way condone or support the terrible shooting that happened yesterday at the baseball field to the congressmen and their aides and we hope everyone recovers both physically and emotionally from this tragedy.
The Great Fire of London. It already has a name. Such a horrible nightmare. It was hard to look at the pictures, those poor people. I can’t imagine the nightmare and terror they all went through and the fear those parents were feeling that threw their children out windows. I hope these people that put them in this situation are prosecuted to the full extent and given life in the worst prisons.
And finally…just because 45’s birthday is today…we don’t claim him. We just don’t. He doesn’t deserve a beautiful amazing June birthday.
That would fit. It’s not nearly as cute and I don’t feel like I have to tilt my head and twinkle when I say it.
My life feels favored. Don’t get me wrong…it has not been perfect but whose life is perfect? Don’t go by Facebook because I do know a few people who for SURE have the most enviable life on social media and in real life…they have the most normal, the most average, the most completely ~I have problems like everyone else~ life that other people have and they only show the pretty things.
But I have Sean.
Sean who makes everything revolve around me on my birthday. It’s ridiculous how fun he makes it. He is hilarious and awesome and adventurous and fabulous and I love every minute of all of it.
Yesterday, on my birthday, we went to Manitou Springs to climb the Manitou Incline.
This incline is 2090 ft in .9 miles. There’s about 3000 steps. If you are fit and healthy and exercise regularly it seems you can do the incline between 45 minutes and an hour. I’d bet money Sean could have finished in that time. He was doing really really well and only stayed behind for me.
We all know I haven’t been at my best for the last few weeks but lets face it, I’m still getting in shape and I will always and forever deal with migraines from exertion. Stairs equal exertion. I’m just asking for it. But I really really wanted to do it. So I figured I’d
It did anyway.
I am so high maintenance. This is just another reason Sean is so great. He went really slow just to give me time to get my slow self up those damn steps. It took me an unbelievable hour and 45 minutes.
My God. I’ve given birth faster.
That is actually not true. But it FEELS true.
Granted…it was like…80* and very little shade. It was warm.
See that peak at the very very top?? It’s not the top. It’s the false summit. Yep…You actually can’t see the top. Ha.
I wish there was a better photo of this so you could see he is balanced on this rock at the top of the incline…it was precarious.
This is the beautiful house we passed on the way there and Sean told me he’d buy it for me because he loves me. So there’s that. There’s a creek that runs in front of it. It’s really lovely and I need the house. Just sayin’. And that’s a photo of us at the top. Still smiling. Somehow.
And as I climbed each step I could feel my heart pounding the blood into my head. It was so unfriendly.
It really did feel pretty good to reach the top but I was already planning my strategy for doing it better the next time.
Castle Rock mini incline a few more times…
many many squats
Keeping up the running
So much planning
And from there I can attempt another climb.
If I do all that, I feel stronger and healthier, and I still get the same results…I’ll consider it my fate.
I don’t ever feel like I need to climb in 30 minutes like a crazy person but I’d like to be average for sure.
Meanwhile..if you’re a migraine sufferer…check out this important page for information. I learned more about physical exertion migraines today than I ever have. Stairs. Who knew?
The result, of course, is a pretty wicked migraine today…what I would totally rate as a solid 9 or a 10. I went to the dentist for a long ago scheduled cleaning and damn…I will never schedule any kind of dentist appointment during my beautiful birthday month again. How wrong is that. Let me hang upside down with a light in my eyes. That’s friendly.
The best part is all of this makes me sound all sickly and weak and I definitely don’t feel sickly and weak. I just feel like I’ve got a killer migraine today and I have to make better choices.
I think by the time you read this, I’ll be better. I medicated a lot and sleep will totally help. I long for a good run and a good workout where I feel my legs, my abs and my arms. STRENGTH PLEASE.
Also I want to go shopping at the second hand store and maybe hang with my girlfriend because I’m still in the middle of birthday week.
We are TOTALLY continuing the festivities.